9718Plastics usage (was New file uploaded to loopantennas)

  • ceo@andygardner.com
    Feb 24 2:30 PM
      Nice looking loop, but I'm not sure about using PVC as a former and cover is a good idea, Q wise.

      From what I can ascertain, the loss tangent of PVC is around 0.023 at MW freqs.

      You want to steer clear of PET ABS and PVC...

      Table of loss tangents:
      Polystyrene 0.0001 (recycle #6)
      LDPE 0.00012 (recycle #4)
      HDPE 0.0002 (recycle #2)
      PTFE (Teflon) 0.00025
      Polypropylene (PP) (recycle #5) 0.0002 - 0.0005
      PET 0.014 (recycle #1)
      ABS 0.02
      PVC 0.023 (recycle #3)

      Could you do some Q measurements on it, then try another one with polypropylene pipe instead? It would interesting to see if there is a major difference in Q factor.

      I think one of the reasons the FSL's do so well is the construction technique - that foam stuff everyone uses between the ferrites and the coil has a nice low loss tangent.

      > a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the loopantennas
      > group.
      >
      > File : /APolldoroff,4coilSTLSantenna.pdf
      > Uploaded by : everettsharp74 everettsharp@...>
      > Description : A Pollydoroff, MW 4 coil, Stacked Toroid Loop Stick Antenna
    • Show all 123 messages in this topic