8135Re: [loopantennas] Re: Loop reflector

  • Dale Parfitt
    Jan 5, 2011
      Hi Steve,
      That loop is virtually on the ground at 1/8 wavelength- any horizontal antenna that low is going to be an omni. Also look at the elevation slice angle -90 degrees.

      My statement said "of sufficient height".
      Do you want me to send you the EZNEC wirelist of a full wave loop in free space vs a dipole in free space- the patterns are almost identical.

      Dale W4OP

      Andy;
      I'm glad you spoke up.
      Here is a link to an Eznec model of an 80m horizontal loop. I've never heard anyone claim a loop had the same pattern as a dipole until now.
      At typical heights, this loop has a circular pattern and vertical radiation is straight up. At greater, 1/2 wavelength, heights the pattern will show a bit of a bulge opposite the feedpoint and a lower angle. Of course the pattern changes for the harmonics but never the same as a dipole. It's a great multiband antenna and very common.
      73
      http://www.iw5edi.com/ham-radio/files/k0ze-loop.pdf

      Steve
      N4LQ