      From: Andy
      To: loopantennas@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wednesday, January 05, 2011 6:23 PM
      Subject: Re: [loopantennas] Re: Loop reflector

      > ... Think of a 1 wavelength
      > horizontal loop as two half wave dipoles spaced 1/4 wavelength apart- it is
      > obvious this is not omni and will have classic construction and destruction
      > azimuth pattern.

      OK ... but now think of it as four shortened (quarter wave) dipoles in a square.

      Now it's not so obvious that it might have classic dipole radiation
      characteristics.

      Thinking that a loop is like two dipoles in parallel, is a real stretch.

      And in fact a good 1 wavelength loop radiates nothing like a dipole!

      Bend a circular loop into a square or triangle, and it's not quite so
      omni anymore; but it's still close enough for government work.

      Andy