7981Re: [loopantennas] Wellbrook ALA 100 loop

  • Don
    Nov 4, 2010
      Hi Jason,

      I installed an ALA-100 a few months ago and it is now my main E/W antenna for Dxing NDB's. Performance is equal to the PA0RDT as far as signal strength. This is
      usually a very quiet antenna except for occasional man made junk/rubbish RF.

      My loop is a rectangle 32ft long x 12ft high (88ft circumference) in a fixed position with the bottom wire 3ft above the ground and the antenna module mounted on a
      short pole in the center of the bottom wires. I used these dimensions which are slightly greater than what Wellbrook recommends as I had two supports that were
      already in place 32ft apart. The wire I use is normal insulation 20ga stranded. Normally in my experience the type/size of wire doesn't matter much for receive
      antennas except for the obvious mechanical strength and mixing of different materials that could cause corrosion. I have also insured that 12vdc is at the ALA-100
      Antenna module through a 100ft run of coax. I have also installed a 7ft RF ground stake in the ground near the antennas and common mode chokes on all coax ends.

      Would be interested in what you mean by disappointing results??? If you can't resolve the problem you may want to contact Andy Akin at Wellbrook. I wish I had
      installed this antenna sooner! Hope to reach 1000 logs by the New Year!

      Don
      Upland, CA
      34.10 -117.63 1250ft ASL
      2x R-75 w/250Hz R-71A w/250Hz R-70