4345Re: [loopantennas] Re: Help

  • Jim Dunstan
    Dec 1, 2007
      At 01:07 PM 12/1/2007 +0000, you wrote:

      >To my mind, the Select-A-Tenna is a bit overpriced. It contains a
      >twelve inch diameter coil of wire, connected in parallel with a 365pF
      >air-variable capacitor, all in a plastic coil-form case.

      You are correct .... I have a home made Select-A-Tenna that costs
      $0.00. It consists of approx 60' ft of insulated hookup wire, a couple of
      small pieces of plywood, 12" of small wood dowel, and a 365 pfd capacitor
      from an old junked radio. I use the Tivioli radio because it is small
      4x4x6 inch ... and has a ferrite antenna that couples to the 1'x1' loop and
      has great audio. The loop and radio sit on the same wood base .. about
      8"x8" (with cloth glued to the bottom). I rotate them together for best
      reception and simply tune the 365 pfd capacitor. It is relatively small
      and outperforms such AM radios as the Superadio III.

      Jim
    • Show all 20 messages in this topic