4342Re: Help

  • mhatlau
    Dec 1, 2007
      To my mind, the Select-A-Tenna is a bit overpriced. It contains a
      twelve inch diameter coil of wire, connected in parallel with a 365pF
      air-variable capacitor, all in a plastic coil-form case.

      As for performance, it has helped nearly every receiver with a ferite
      antenna I have used mine with, nearly always tremendously. I use it a
      lot with the ICF-2010. The two exceptions are (1) R-392. The R-392
      does not have a ferite loop, so I have to use the built-in pick-up
      coil, which is an isolated turn on the same plane as the primary coil
      in the Select-A-Tenna. Unfortunately, this is too closely coupled
      with the Select-A-Tenna coil, so the low impedance of the R-392
      antenna input shorts out the tank circuit in the Select-A-Tenna,
      making it useless. (2) My GE Superadio III. The twelve inch coil in
      the Select-A-Tenna has about the same virtual height and aperture as
      the seven and a half inch ferite rod in the Superadio. So at best, it
      only adds 3 dB to the signal, barely detectable. On the other hand,
      by tuning the Select-A-Tenna slightly above or below the desired
      signal, you can change the phase of the re-radiated signal at the
      desired frequency. This phase shifted re-radiated signal is then
      coupled into the Superadio ferite loop and adds with the existing
      original signal. The result is much deeper nulls than can be achieved
      with the Superadio antenna alone, making it quite useful even with the
      Superadio, abet not as intended. So my advice is that if you think
      the extra cost($59.95 + S&H) for a nice out of the box package is
      worth the $20-40 you would save by building it yourself, then go for
      it. It definitely is not snake oil.

      On the other hand, if you have the tools and skill for a bit of basic
      woodworking, you can make a much more sensitive loop for about $20-40,
      depending on how fancy you want to make it (for example, turned
      spreaders of Cherry, and a ball-bearing base).

      --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Gibson" <wb6tnb@...> wrote:

      > I have used a Select-a-Tenna for 25 years and it still works very
      > well. I have the least expensive model (541). I've used it with many
      > radios and it always makes a huge increase in signal strength;
      > especially with weak signals. I highly recommend it.
      >
      > http://www.selectatenna.com
      >
      > --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, "tommika1" <tommika@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Newbie here. I'm at the edge of reception on AM 1330 near Salem,SC
      and
      > > would appreciate knowing what to buy for house radio. The signal
      fades
      > > rapidly in the later afternoon and is decent at mid-day. I read
      about a
      > > double ferrite core type (I think) but it was about $100 plus extra
      > > cost for cable to run outside. Is there something out there that
      works
      > > without so much expense. Thanks for any help you can offer.

    • Show all 20 messages in this topic