4335Re: [loopantennas] Re: Balanced Antenna Amplifiers

  • Chris Trask
    Nov 30, 2007

      > the noise is slightly better with the U310 but only
      > slightly than the J310h at 450 MHz the delta is about
      > 0.3 dB nothing to write home about!
      > Chris may know other variables that could be better
      >
      > Also, I notice Dallas Lankford tends to use these U310
      > JFETs over the J310 JFETs and I don't know why!

      I have rewritten the JFET evaluation that I posted earlier this month,
      more than doubling the number of devices evaluated and with some morte
      extensive commentary:

      http://www.home.earthlink.net/~christrask/JFET%20Evaluation.pdf

      I was fortunate in obrtaining a number of 2N4416's for this exercise, as
      well as a single U310 in a TO-18 package. That's a curious device, as the
      gate is connected to the case. Not at all surprising, as that entire family
      of devices was very popular as common-gate amplifiers for CATV applications.

      Chris

      ,----------------------. High Performance Mixers and
      / What's all this \ Amplifiers for RF Communications
      / extinct stuff, anyhow? /
      \ _______,--------------' Chris Trask / N7ZWY
      _ |/ Principal Engineer
      oo\ Sonoran Radio Research