3960Re: [loopantennas] Re: Don't mention "C Crane" or "Twin Coil Ferrite Loop"

  • Chris Smolinski
    Sep 3, 2007

      >In a message dated 03/09/2007 19:33:23 GMT Daylight Time,
      >yahoogroups@... writes:
      >
      >> There is NO registered federal copyright of either "C. Crane"
      >> or "Twin coil ferrite loop"
      >
      >IANAL, but I do know that copyrights do NOT have to be registered with
      >the federal government to be valid. If one wants to collect damages
      >from a violator, then they must be registered, but to simply prevent
      >someone from making money from your copyrighted work or disseminating
      >it without your permission, the copyright need not be registered.

      Terms such as "C. Crane" or "Twin coil ferrite
      loop" would be trademarked, not copyrighted. And
      even if they are trademarks, you're certainly
      able to mention them, as long as you state the
      usual disclaimer blurbage that such and such is a
      registered trademark of so and so.

      You could possibly copyright a specific drawing,
      but as you cannot copyright facts, you cannot
      claim copyright over all representations of a
      circuit. Feist Publications vs Rural Telephone is
      likely the relevant supreme court case here.

      --

      ---
      Chris Smolinski