10670Re: [loopantennas] Re: Pixel loop antenna problem

  • david stremme
    Jul 10, 2014
    Pixel is alive and well....
    We've undergone a name change to InLogisInc http://inlogisinc.com

    I've not heard from the gentleman with the PIXEL LOOP issue
    He doesn't reach out - we can't help him

    We can offer troubleshooting support - and or sell him replacement components if necessary
    (SHIPPING is Expensive however)

    I am attaching the troubleshooting / setup tips tricks document I've been working on
    it may be of some help to him

    He can always reach me at
    david@...
    david@...
    info@...

    David Stremme
    KA0IJV
    303 526 1965 office

    http://inlogisinc.com

    Subject: [loopantennas] Re: Pixel loop antenna problem
    To: loopantennas@yahoogroups.com
    Date: Wednesday, July 9, 2014, 4:51 PM

    Chris,
    Well,
    the Wellbrook crowd is alive and well - if not much help.
    I'll try to offer some assistance. Let's debug it. A
    detailed inspection - and retightening - of all of the
    connectors & adapters - including in & out of the
    pre-amp -  might find a 'simple' fix. First - is
    the power inserter green LED lit when the power switch is
    'On'? If not, disconnect the cable to the pre-amp
    and repeat. If it still doesn't lite, unplug the wall
    warts coaxial plug from the inserter and measure the
    plug's output voltage - it should be ~20 VAC (Not DC -
    the rectifier, filter, and regulator are in the inserter.).
    If it reads zero, you've found your fault - the wall
    wart. If the wall wart is good, disconnect the transmission
    line from the pre-amp at the inserter. If the green LED now
    comes on with the 'On' switch, the fault is either
    in the pre-amp or the cable to it. While you are at it,
    measure the center pin to shell voltage of the
    inserter's input from the transmission line/pre-amp - it
    should be ~19.6VDC. Reconnect the transmission line at the
    inserter and disconnect it at the pre-amp. Measure the cable
    center wire to shield - it should be the same as back at the
    inserter - or else the feedline cable is bad. If everything
    is good thus far - and/or the green LED has worked all
    along, you need to check signal flow.
    Unplug the wall wart AC supply. Tune the
    radio you use to a local MW station and verify that it works
    by touching it's antenna connection - note the signal
    level. Reconnect the cable from the radio to the power
    inserter - and disconnect the transmission line to the
    pre-amp at the inserter. Touch the now open female F
    connector (chassis mount on the inserter) and see if the MW
    station's signal returns. If there is no signal, the
    fault is in the receiver to inserter cable/adapter or
    inserter - determine which by replacing the receiver cable.
    If you are good to here, reconnect the cable and go to the
    preamp and disconnect the output lead that goes to the
    'shack'. "Touching ' the cable's center
    wire should cause most of the signal to return - if not,
    your feedline is likely at fault. If it does, it could be
    your pre-amp - or loop antenna itself.
    My Pro-1a was on my deck during a near
    miss by an F3-F4 tornado 1/12. The deck was cleared off of
    furniture, etc, and the loop was 'wound up' (I
    thought the clamp was tight!) and the eave mount's lag
    bolts were loosened, too. I tightened the connector's
    and it was fine (I never put sealant on the outside
    connections!). They are physically stout. I moved 7/13 to a
    garden home with an HOA and no outside antennas, so the loop
    is sitting in a tripod mount in the walkup attic and works
    better than ever now, and, thunderstorms or not, seems to be
    always left on. The inserter box runs warm, but that's
    it - pretty stout electrically, too. This site is quiet, too
    - underground utilities help!
    If Pixel is out of business, that would
    be sad. I think the loop pre-amp was designed by Clifton
    Labs, if that helps. Good luck!
    John
  • Show all 15 messages in this topic