10590Re: [loopantennas] MFJ-1788 housing needs painting

  • Richard (Rick) Karlquist
    May 9 8:42 AM
      I think when they said "metal" the meant the elemental form
      of the metal, not a compound like TiO. In any event, I
      would not worry about the effect of paint, because it will
      be negligible compared to ABS pipe, which is a low quality
      dielectric.

      Rick N6RK

      On 5/5/2014 4:32 AM, Alan Sutherland wrote:
      > Hi All:
      >
      > Before moving to an apartment with balcony, where the MFJ loop will
      > stick out like a sore thumb, I need to paint its black ABS housing white
      > or another light color.
      > MFJ advise us not to use a paint containing metal.
      > I have researched and foun! d that nearly all exterior paints, in Europe
      > at least, where I live, contain titanium dioxide or zinc oxide.
      > Is the concentration of TiO2 so small and dispersion so great that it
      > does not affect tuning of the loop?
      > Does anyone have experience of painting this housing?
      > Please share your experience or ideas with me and others.
      > 73
      > Alan DH2AS (G4HEQ in UK)

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic