10490Re: [loopantennas] Loop Antenna Balun

  • maxwellmclellan
    Feb 14, 2014
      Harry, I have used an untuned loop about 90 feet circumference ( a two turn loop sides 6 metres x 2 metres, hung under the eaves at this QTH.) The plane of the loop North/South used it to listen to the Sydney Hobart Yacht race. Armchair copy, you could almost swell the salt air! Positioning it on the roof may make it susceptable to mains bourne QRN. Could you position it under the eaves of the building Am not sure what a HOA is. Give it a go, temporarily  at first, if it's OK make it permanent. Tuned loops need to be say 1/3 to1/4 wavelength and brought to resonance capacitivly. An untuned loop will have a basic resonance derived from its native inductance and capacitance. Again give it a go. Regards Max VK2TTI