10355RE: [loopantennas] Butterfly Capacitors from copper stock?

  • Brian Burns
    Dec 28, 2013

      ~Anyone looked at making butterfly capacitor kits from copper. The weld that MFJ used to attach their butterfly capacitor to their aluminum loop is a great concept but we all know that copper is better conductor, and if we could braze/solder the connection of the butterfly loop directly to the copper loop (Homebrew) this would be a lot more efficient.

      Copper is quite soft, easily bent, and difficult to de-burr. I would use thin brass for capacitor plates for its easier working and polishing//de-burring properties. It solders very easily, and I suspect that its conductivity is so close to copper that “there’s not enough difference to make a difference”.

      Cheers,

      Brian Burns  Ex: W5BRO, K6UCD

      See my website:  www.lessonsinlutherie.com