Re: I need setup tips from experienced longboarders

  • molyhoses
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1 3:18 AM
      I suppose what I want is the best balance between speed, stability, and
      turning.
    • Bosco
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1 8:56 AM
        Hey HMST

        Welcome to the world of longboarding. I will skip straight to the questions which are listed below.

        molyhoses <shanetaylor7@...> wrote:

        Most of the answers to these questions are really about personal preference. My experience has taught me that what people like and what works for them can be very different from rider to rider.

        "What hardness rating should my wheels be?"

        I find wheels in the 78A to 84A to best for cruising around the streets and general riding.

        How wide should my wheels be?

        Wider wheels get better traction, narrower wheels get to speed faster. I like my
        wheels to be medium width, like Gravity Street G's on my park set ups and ditch
        set ups. I like a wider wheel like the ABEC11 Flashback or Gumball on a street
        cruiser.

        What diameter wheels should I get?

        I like wheels in the 60-70mm range. On big cruisers I like em taller. I generally go
        a little softer on durometer if the wheel gets really tall. Taller wheels mean more
        risers to prevent wheel bite.

        What sort of bearing should I get?

        Oust, Pleasure Tool, Rockin Ron's, Bones. All bearings are not created equal.
        Most of them suck. Don's skimp here. Buy serviceable bearings you can clean
        and reuse. Ignore ABEC ratings. They are meaningless to skateboarding, and
        frequently incorrect on the bearing package.

        What brand of trucks do you recommend?

        I like Indy's, Orions, Randals, Holeys, Trackers have a proven track record but
        they don't turn the way I like. it's a preference thing not a quality thing with
        tracker.

        How wide should my trucks be?

        I like my wheels to line up edge to edge with the board. Truck width will depend on
        the width of your board, the width of your wheels and the bearing seating in the
        wheel(i.e. center set, side set, etc.)

        How soft should my bushings be?

        I like barrell bushings like Khiro, Radikal and Tracker Stimulators. I like them soft
        and I like my trucks floppy loose most of the time.

        I have heard that these seismic trucks are about the best thing ever
        for everything except bombing, so perhaps they would be best?

        Seismic trucks are built on a spring system. They have a very precision turn that
        takes some getting used to. They are nice for lots of things. They run a little higher
        in price than most trucks and the replacement parts usually have to be mail
        ordered unless a shop around you happens to carry the brand.

      • David Rajewski
        Message 3 of 4 , May 1 5:17 PM
          Id recomend some 65mm, 80 to 85a wheels. these will give you some nice grip and wont wear away too fast. width of the wheels just depends on the grip u want. wider more grip. ive got Randal II 180mm trucks on my 60 in deck and have yet to have death wobbles. ive also got a 46 in bomber with Randal II 150mm and once i broke them in i got good turning and mild to no wobbles. id get medium to soft bushings. soft if u want harder turns. ive got medium and they turn fine, but i had to break them in a little. bone reds are get bearings, just avoid the water. i like the Sector 9 greaseballs. cheap and pretty good. alrite man well i hope i helped a little... anymore questions fell free to shoot me another email. ibombhillsdaily@...
          -Dave

          molyhoses <shanetaylor7@...> wrote:
          I'm new to longboarding and need some tips on getting my setup right
          for what I want to do. I've had a cheap basic longboard for a long
          time, but I've recently bought a more serious setup. The deck is
          exactly what I want, so there's no problem there, but the trucks,
          wheels, bearings, etc need replacing. What I need is some advice for
          brands and what not for the new gear I'm gonna get. I'll start by
          telling you what I want to do with my board -
          I want a setup that has good stability andis good for carving and
          turning. I'll mainly be using it on flatground and mild to moderate
          downhill slopes. I'm not interested in bombing or extremely high
          speeds, definitely want a setup that will resist the death wobbles.
          I'm no into bowls or pools either. I'd value wheels with a good grip
          on the ground over those that slide. I want wheels and bearings that
          are good and won't need replacing often, but I won't spend the earth
          on them. Over here in Aus, Swiss bones are about $80 for a set, and
          I'd never pay that. I can get ABEC 7 speed demons for about $24, and
          thats much more around my budget. Anyway, what I want to know is,
          for what I want to use the board for -
          What hardness rating should my wheels be?
          How wide should my wheels be?
          What diameter wheels should I get?
          What sort of bearing should I get?
          What brand of trucks do you recommend?
          How wide should my trucks be?
          How soft should my bushings be?
          I have heard that these seismic trucks are about the best thing ever
          for everything except bombing, so perhaps they would be best? Do I
          still use the wedged risers if I get the seismic trucks?
          Any advice you guys can offer would be awesome, cheers.

          Skateboarding shoes Skateboarding shoes Longboard wheels Skateboarding video Longboard skateboards Longboard deck