Long Life vol 3 no 1 - Immortalist Highlights

  • John de Rivaz
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 15, 2004

      Long Life: the Cryonics Institute newsletter

      January 2004 -- Volume 3, Number 1 - Immortalist Highlights

      Welcome to Long Life -- the electronic newsletter of the Cryonics Institute. We're here to update you with brief cutting-edge news, updates, links, and information about the latest scientific, medical, health, anti-ageing, and social developments relevant to CI's goal of saving, preserving, and extending human life. Long Life may also include news about Cryonics Institute events and member activities and opinion. We welcome your feedback, and encourage readers to forward issues to friends and interested parties.

      There are separate issues for highlights from the latest issue of The Immortalist. The reason for this is that otherwise the file is too long for some readers, and also the publication dates of The Immortalist are not synchronous with the start of each month.

      Note -- publication of the other issue of Long Life was suspended during the cemetary board cease and desist order. It is hoped to return to normal service soon.

      From the Immortalist:

      EDITOR’S CORNER
      MEMORIAUM
      NEWS & VIEWS
      Quickies
      A Guide to AntiAging Drugs
      Christopher Reeve’s Quest
      CI ONLINE DISCUSSION GROUP
      KURZWEIL NEWSLETTER
      ISCHEMIA AND REPERFUSION INJURY IN CRYONICS
      LIFE EXTENSION NEWS
      MEET DANILA MEDVEDEV

      EDITOR’S CORNER

      This issue of The Immortalist is a milestone of sorts. It’s the first issue with a full color, full page, PAID advertisement! In case you missed it, it’s on the outside rear cover, a Life Extension Foundation (LEF) ad. The ad is the result of a conversation Ben Best had with Bill Faloon, LEF’s President, when he was in South Florida recently. Good job Ben! And as they say in the business, "support our advertisers!" The CI ad that was formerly on the rear cover has been moved to the inside front cover.

      With all the food manufacturers jumping on the low carb bandwagon, it’s good to remember that just a few short years ago, anyone who even mentioned Dr, Robert Atkins and his revolutionary weight loss ideas, was branded a quack and a nutcase. He wrote his first book about the "Low Carb Lifestyle" thirty years ago. Atkins died this past April after slipping on a patch of ice in front of his Manhattan office. It’s only been recently that his ideas have been vindicated. It’s a shame he couldn’t live to see how things have changed.

      One wonders if the change in the public perception of cryonics will happen just as quickly, or will it take a prolonged period.

      MEMORIAUM

      The Immortalist Society (IS) Research Fund. recently received a donation from Maureen Genteman. She is an IS member, the donation is in memory of her husband Paul. Paul Genteman has been suspended by Alcor.

      NEWS & VIEWS

      President's Report

      The Cryonics Institute has reached an agreement with the Michigan Department Labor & Economic Growth (DLEG) Bureau of Commercial Services to be licensed as a cemetery. The Cease and Desist orders issued by CIS against CI have been withdrawn.

      Ben Best

      I did not want for an issue of THE IMMORTALIST to be published pending this important announcement, so I asked our editor/publisher (John Bull) to hold publication.

      Although the issue is very late, I think it was worth waiting. The Nov/Dec issue of THE IMMORTALIST has been skipped, because I asked John to make the next issue Jan/Feb. All subscriptions will be extended accordingly.

      Concerning the agreement with DLEG, CI agreed to be licensed as a cemetery without waiving its claims and objections regarding the lack of jurisdiction of DLEG or the Cemetery Commission over CI. CI's purpose is to attempt to save lives, not to store dead bodies. CIS has acknowledged the distinctive nature of cryonics.

      CI can no longer perfuse patients at the CI facility. All perfusions done in the state of Michigan must be performed at the premises of a licensed funeral director -- although the protocol and perfusates are still those intended for cryopreservation, and can be modified when we are ready to implement vitrification. Because funeral directors already perform our perfusions under our direction (and will continue to do so under our agreement), we believe that we can operate and continue to improve our protocols at the premises of a funeral director.

      The terms of the licensure also require the creation of an Endowment Care Trust Fund for patient care -- amounting to $4,000 per patient. (This is a bookkeeping transaction, is done internally in CI’s books, and has no effect on members at all) The interest from this fund can be used for patient maintenance and maintenance of CI's facility. The existence of a separate fund is required for all cemeteries, and is intended to provide an extra assurance that funds will be available to maintain our patients. CI will continue to hold more than this amount for patients outside of the Trust Fund in addition to the minimum requirements of DLEG.

      A press release was created by negotiation and mutual consent between our lawyer (David Ettinger) and DLEG. This official press release was given to the media and is printed elsewhere in this issue of THE IMMORTALIST.

      While CI has not sought out regulation, there are advantages to this result. By reaching an agreement that recognizes the many differences between CI and cemeteries, we believe that we have achieved a "benign regulation" that is intended only to provide additional protection to our members, and therefore have avoided the problems of hostile regulation.

      Also, there are people who feel that their consumer's rights are being safeguarded when they deal with a regulated industry, so such people may be more comfortable about making cryonics arrangements with CI.

      I regret that our members have been in the dark about this situation for so long -- wondering when or if this will be resolved, wondering what services CI can provide, and wondering how much of a problem it would be if a cryonics emergency arose.

      We did have contingencies, but because of the sensitive legal situation it was better not to discuss them (and is probably still better not to discuss them). It is my preference to be open about matters when feasible and to have an open discussion of real problems with all our members as much as possible.

      I look forward to not only resuming operations that are faithful to our purpose along with advancing technology & service -- but to resume efforts to establish open dialog with the membership.

      Ben Best

      _________________________________

      News Release

      Michigan Department of Labor & Economic Growth

      Cryonics Institute Now Licensed as Cemetery to Settle Dispute with State of Michigan

      January 7, 2003 - The Michigan Department of Labor & Economic Growth (DLEG) Bureau of Commercial Services, and Cryonics Institute (CI) have settled their dispute by the licensure of CI as a cemetery under Michigan law.

      CI is a nonprofit membership organization which "cryonically suspends," or freezes, patients immediately after clinical death, in the hope that they can be revived and rejuvenated when future technology is sufficiently advanced.

      DLEG had issued orders requiring that CI cease and desist from many of its activities pending licensure.

      Now that CI has been licensed, these cease and desist orders have been withdrawn.

      "We are pleased that CI can now become a licensed facility, permitting state oversight of its operations," said David C. Hollister, Director of the Department of Labor & Economic Growth. "We believe that it’s licensure as a cemetery provides additional protections to the people of the State of Michigan."

      "CI is very happy to have resolved this dispute, so that we can continue to grow and provide services to our members," said Ben Best, CI’s president. "While we believe that CI’s activities are very different from those contemplated by the Michigan laws governing cemeteries and mortuary science, we are ready to become licensed, and to permit oversight by DLEG staff.

      Our agreement with DLEG recognizes the unique nature of CI’s services, and, as a nonprofit membership organization, we have always operated in the manner that best serves our members."

      The agreement between DLEG and CI in most respects permits CI to continue operating as it has in the past, but subject to audits, inspections and financial reporting. CI will also segregate certain funds in an endowed care trust fund to cover maintenance expenses.

      Additionally, CI has agreed that certain initial steps of the cryonic suspension process within the State of Michigan will only occur at licensed funeral establishments, conducted by licensed morticians. Such activities have in the past been conducted by licensed morticians at CI’s facility. Patients will still be stored at CI’s facility in liquid nitrogen.

      The Bureau of Commercial Services of DLEG, licenses and regulates the practices of mortuary science, funeral establishments and cemeteries in Michigan. The Cryonics Institute is a nonprofit, membership organization based in Clinton Township, Michigan. CI has cryonically suspended 50 patients, and has more than 400 members.

      _________________________________

      BOCA RATON PLANNING & ZONING BOARD HEARING, 6-Nov-2003

      On November 6, 2003 at 6:30pm -- there was a hearing by the Planning & Zoning Board at Boca Raton (Florida) City Hall. The first item on the agenda was the application for zoning approval by Suspended Animation, Inc. Although the final decision on the zoning application is made by City Council (which meets in January), the recommendation of the P&Z Board can be a significant input in Council's decision. With P&Z Board approval, the Council would be almost certain to approve.

      In the week prior to the meeting (particularly) Suspended Animation made an ardent appeal to cryonicists to attend the P&Z Board hearing. Appeals were also made to e-mail the Council membbers and the Mayor. The latter appeal may have created some confusion. The Mayor's auto-responder mentioned the Council meeting in January -- and some cryonicists who might have attended the P&Z Board meeting got the mistaken impression that it had been postponed until January.

      At 6pm those attending the P&Z Board meeting were allowed to enter the City Hall Building. Everyone entering was required to show photo ID and to walk through a metal-detector. Outside, about 15 animal-rights activists stood on the

      street-corner chanting to motorists and waving signs & banners. Reporters from Channel 5 (http://www.TCPalm.com) and News 12 covered the events outside as well as in the hearing.

      Anyone in attendence in the courtroom willing to state their home address and be sworn-in was given the opportunity of making a 5-minute testimony following the introductory briefings. The Chairman of the P&Z Board stressed that repetition would not be welcome and further attempted to intimidate would-be testifiers by saying they would be subject to cross-examination (which never happened). He was also concerned that all of the animal rights activists would be saying the same thing, so he requested that a spokesperson be appointed to speak for the group.

      The first briefing was by a P&Z staffer who described the zoning of the South Congress Industrial Center (SCIC), which is zoned as M-3. She said that mortuary use is not permitted in an M-3 zone and that Suspended Animation (SA) does not qualify for the Conditional Use petition. She then named the activities qualifying for Conditional Use, which included such things as bottling, TV repair, heliports -- and laboratory/industrial research & testing.

      The SA lawyer then argued that SA is not a mortuary, but is a research organization. SA President Dave Shumaker then gave a rapid-fire presentation describing the scientific credentials of his staff & consultants as well as a scientific justification for cryonics research – stressing that any animals used would be treated humanely.

      The P&Z Board Chairman interjected to ask "if cryonics works, what will we do with all the people?"-- adding a disclaimer that his own question is irrelevant to the decision. Mr. Shumaker said that Man is adaptable and that additional population could be handled, just as the world is currently sustaining 6 billion people without a problem (causing some groans among the animal rights activists).

      About 10 people testified in support of SA, whereas only 4 animal rights activists testified against (and one of the 4 was a written briefing). The animal rights activists summitted to the plans of their leadership (as had been requested), whereas there was no co-ordination among the cryonicists other than to encourage as many as possible to speak. The animal rights activists were sitting together en mass in the back, but they refrained from jeering & cheering when reprimanded by the judge about doing so.

      Bill Faloon testified as a licensed Florida mortician, stating his license number. He testified categorically that the practice of cryonics is completely unlike what a mortician does. One of the animal rights testimonies was an emotional appeal by a Boca Raton woman, but the other two opposition testimonies strove to cite scientific authorities who supported the claim that cryonics is crackpot pseudo-science and that SA would be conducting frivolous & unnecessary experiments which would cruelly torture animals as part of a scheme to dupe desperate people with false promises in a profit-making scam.

      I surprised myself by making a mostly emotional testimony. I said that I have been interested in cryonics most of my life and that I wear a bracelet that says I am donating my body to cryonics research. I said that I do not believe immortality is possible, but that cryonics has the possibility to save & extend lives. I said that I view cryonics as medicine and that if they prohibit cryonics out of concern for overpopulation, they should also prohibit heart transplant, kidney transplant and all medical research. I noted that 21st Century Medicine had cryopreserved rabbit kidneys at -50C and successfully transplanted the kidneys into the rabbits with complete recovery.

      I said that I hope that cryonics can save my life, but if it does not I hope that my donation to research may help the next person (comparable to an AIDS victim subject to an experimental treatment). I said that I have many friends who have made similar arrangements as well as friends already frozen. I said that I care about animals, but that I also care about my friends. I was becoming so emotional that I felt I should end on that note.

      After the testimonies the P&Z Board basically said that the testimonies had all been irrelevant. The staffer in the initial briefing had established that a mortuary is unsuitable for M-3 zoning and that SA clearly does not qualify for the Conditional Use petition. All 6 P&Z Board members agreed unanimously to deny SA the Conditional Use petition. A roar of cheering and clapping came from the from the animal rights activists in the back of the courtroom.

      The hearing was then recessed and most people left. I heard three of the P&Z Board members chatting & laughing between themselves about what great entertainment the proceedings had been.

      It is possible that when Council meets in January that it will overrule the Planning & Zoning Board, and approve the Conditional Use petition that Suspended Animation has made.

      Ben Best

      _________________________________

      ETTINGER’S MAKE RESEARCH FUND DONATION

      David and Connie Ettnger have made a $20,000. donation to The Immortalist Society’s Research Fund.

      _________________________________

      TED WILLIAM’S SON DIAGNOSED WITH LEUKEMIA

      SPORTS ILLUSTRATED

      reported that John Henry Williams, 35, was diagnosed with leukemia earlier this month, Eric Abel, Williams' attorney would not discuss any other aspects of Williams' condition.

      John Henry Williams told the Citrus County Chronicle that he was diagnosed with acute myelogenous leukemia at UCLA Medical Center and that he has already started chemotherapy.

      "The whole goal is get the leukemia in remission," Williams told the newspaper.

      After Ted Williams died July 5, 2002, John Henry Williams was at the center  of a controversy surrounding his father's remains. Williams had his father's body taken to Alcor, setting off a battle with his half-sister, who said her father had wanted to be cremated.

      The matter was settled in December, when Bobby Jo Ferrell, Ted Williams' oldest daughter, dropped her objections.

      John Henry Williams' other sister, Claudia Williams, told the newspaper she is in Los Angeles for tests to determine if she is a match for a possible bone marrow transplant.

      "It's not good, not good at all, considering his age," Claudia Williams said.

      About 10,500 new cases of acute myelogenous leukemia are diagnosed each year in the United States, with remission occurring in 70-80 percent of those patients.

      Ted Williams finished with a .344 career average and was the last major leaguer to bat over .400, when he hit .406 in 1941.

      ________________________________

      CHRISTINE GASPAR’S FIRST TV INTERVIEW

      Brent Erskine and I did an interview for a television production called TKO (technical knockout). It’s produced by Pyramid Productions, and I think is channeled through Global / Canwest. It airs primarily in Western Canada, but those of you with time shifting from Rogers Cable might be able to pick it up. They will nevertheless send us a copy of the show on tape. I think it went incredibly well. We spoke with the videographer for more than an hour, and it was unscripted, which was nice. (I didn't read from the notes I had prepared, and Brent spoke off the cuff too) I'd like to thank Brent for participating. I think this will be a positive presentation of cryonics to the community at large. As well, being the first time either of us have done this, it was a great learning experience. I hope that we can do more of these, on a regular basis, as I think it will go a long way towards one of our goals (at least one of mine anyways) of normalizing and legitimizing cryonics to the larger Canadian community.

      Christine Gaspar

      President, Cryonics Society of Canada _________________________________

      INITIATION FEE COMING FOR NEW OPTION TWO MEMBERS

      Starting March 1, 2003 Option Two CI membership will require a $75 initiation fee to cover set-up costs in addition to the usual $120 per year (or $30 quarterly) payments. If you have friends or relatives who have been procrastinating about joining CI as an Option Two Member, encourage them to join before the March 1st deadline to save on the cost of the initiation fee. Note that in addition to checks & PayPal,we now accept Visa, MasterCard and American Express for payments.

      _________________________________

      SCRIPPS RESEARCH INSTITUTE TO OPEN FLORIDA BRANCH

      The Scripps Research Institute is one of the worlds largest non-profit biomedical research organizations. It’s internationally known for its research in immunology, molecular and cellular biology, and a number of related fields.

      It was founded in 1961 from it’s predecessor, The Scripps Metabolic Clinic which was founded in 1924 after a gift from philanthropist Ellen Browning Scripps, who herself was an heiress of the Scripps Howard newspaper chain.

      Their California facility is located in LaJolla, and employs about 3000 people. This figure includes 288 principal investigators, (3 Nobel Laureates,) 15 fellows of The American Association for the Advancement of Science and 775 postdoctorial fellows.

      The physical layout consists of 12 buildings with more than a million square feet. This year Scripps received nearly $205 million in research grants from The National Institutes of Health. The area around the LaJolla campus is surrounded with buildings with names familiar to everyone, Pifzer, Merck, Johnson & Johnson, to name only a few. All arethere to maintain a close working relationship with Scripps.

      Now Scripps wants to do for Florida what they did for California. Governor Bush learned this past summer about Scripps desire to open a facility on the east coast.

      With stunning speed , and a level of security not seen since Disney came to Orlando in the 60’s, Bush courted Scripps with enthusiasm and intensity. He christened the secret venture, "Project Air Conditioning," likening it to the radical changes to Florida with the advent of air conditioning.

      Subject to approval by the legislature, Florida is offering $310 million to pay for technology and salaries for Scripps Florida employees for several years. Palm Beach County, where the facility would be located, has offered up to $200 million for land, a new building and temporary headquarters.

      Scripps claims it would be a magnet for other research organizations and laboratories that would attract leading academics and professionals. Scripps President Richard Lerner has said the Florida facility would focus on drug discovery, rather than pure scientific research. They plan to create a fully staffed, fully equipped drug design port that would allow open access for qualified researchers in Florida. These design ports would allow researchers to convert their findings into new drug discoveries. Additionally, he said Scripps would provide joint degree programs for all of Florida’s universities.

      Suspended Animation Inc., located in Boca Raton, is about 30 miles south of Palm Beach. It’s too early to tell how much SA would benefit directly or indirectly from the Scripps facility. Adapted from St Petersburg Times and FLORIDA TODAY

      _________________________________

      THE END OF FUTURISM?

      The day was, a few decades ago when the prognostications of the World Future Society, (WFS) were valued by Presidents, politicians and the media alike. But over the years, time has taken it’s toll of the movement.

      Mike Marien, an outspoken critic of the field said "Everybody’s more specialized, so there isn’t a market for anyone who can speak about large holistic matters with any authority." The Society’s membership rolls are down ten percent from ten years ago. An WFS member hasn’t been invited to the White House since Ronald Reagan was President. Long gone are the days when Isaac Asimov, Buckminster Fuller, and Arthur C. Clarke made headlines with their prophesies.

      Ed Cornish, 76 and founder of the movement in 1966, works on a computer- a DOS machine that doesn’t do e-mail, the net or Windows. Recently, a staffer said to his boss "A Seattle radio station called, wants to know if you have some predictions for next year." Cornish thought a bit, then said, "I can’t think of anything in particular."

      Futurism is doomed for a number of reasons. For starters, we now have a plethora of niche consultants, and a booming field called risk analysis, which uses proven actuarial methods. We’ve wised up to the fact that futurism as a discipline is a bit of a con. They examine trends, and play out what if scenarios. Anyone with a dial-up connection can do it.

      Finally, there’s a trail of forty years of failed predictions. Consider a recent one: Watts Wacker, a well know futurist consultant predicted in 1999 that the U.S. Postal Service would offer free e-mail accounts within two years. He said USPS had the ideas and the will to make it happen, that "they’ve done their homework." Four years later, when Gerry McKiernan, Director of Media Relations for USPS was asked about it, he said, "this is the first I’ve heard about it." "If we don’t sell stamps, we don’t pay our employees." Apparently Wacker hadn’t done his homework.

      When enough predictions are made, some are bound to be right. A few futurists, (and Wacker in 1997) predicted that terrorists might someday hijack a plane and crash it into a building. But by 1996 Tom Clancy had already written two books based on that premise! Adapted from WIRED

      ___________________________

      TRANSVISION 2004: Date Change

      Please note the date change for TransVision 2004: August 6-8, 2004

      TransVision 2004: Art and Life in the Posthuman Era, JJR McLeod Auditorium, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada

      Call for Proposals

      Deadline: April 15, 2004

      Include all of the following information in a two-page proposal for your presentation:

      - Title of presentation

      - Type of presentation (i.e. talk, performance, exhibit, video, etc.)

      - Program track to which topic relates:

      - Transhuman Art and Culture

      - Transhuman Science and Technology

      - Transhuman Ethics, Law, and Politics

      - Other (see list of suggested topics for examples at the TV04 Website)

      - Objective(s) of the presentation

      - Description of the content and format (300 words or less)

      - Abstract (25 - 50 words) for inclusion in the conference program

      - Presentation space requirements, media to be used and audiovisual equipment needed (if any).

      - Designated contact person (only one per proposal)

      - Complete name, title, organization, address, phone and fax numbers, and e-mail address for each session presenter

      - Brief biographical sketch (50-100 words) of each presenter

      Please submit your proposals electronically to World Transhumanist Association secretary James Hughes Ph.D. at james.hughes@.... If necessary, you may submit your conference proposal to Dr. Hughes by mailing it to him at: Trinity College, 71 Vernon St., Hartford CT 06106, or by faxing it to: (860) 297-4079.Deadline for submissions is April 15, 2004. Please attach the paper the presentation is based on if it is already written.

      After notification of acceptance of your paper, all presenters (at least one per presentation) will be required to pre-register for the conference. Presenters not registered by June 15, 2004 will not be included in the program.

      For more information see the conference website at http://www.transhumanism.org/tv/2004

      Proposal Selection Criteria

      Proposals will be selected based on the following criteria:

      - A clear and concise description of the proposed presentation

      - Relevance to conference goals and objectives

      - Evidence of presenter experience with topic

      - Completion of all information requested

      Timeline

      - Proposals due by: April 15, 2004

      - Notification of acceptance: May 15, 2004

      - Deadline for conferees to pre-register: June 15, 2004

      Publication of Proceedings

      If your presentation is accepted, you are strongly encouraged to submit it as an electronic text by June 15, 2004. - Some of the audio, graphic and film material will appear in the WTA's online gallery of transhumanist art

      George Dvorsky

      sendev@...

      LIFELINE NUTRACEUTICALS, INC.

      Contact: Bill Driscoll, President/CEO

      Tel: 720-488-1711

      billdriscoll@...

      http://www.lifelinenutraceuticals.com

      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

      Lifeline Nutraceuticals, Inc. and CereMedix, Inc. sign an Exclusive Worldwide Licensing Agreement for the development of a novel technology-driven Anti-Aging Dietary Supplement

      DENVER, COLORADO AND WORCESTER, MASSACHUSETTS

      , OCT. 16, 2003. Lifeline Nutraceuticals, Inc. and CereMedix, Inc. announced today that Lifeline has licensed exclusive, worldwide rights to an innovative oral dietary supplement that is being heralded as the first serious product candidate in the battle against oxidative stress. Oxidative stress is widely known to play a key role in over 100 age-related diseases and the aging process itself. This patented and proprietary product, currently known as CMX-1152, has been licensed from its inventor, CereMedix Inc., a Worcester-based biotechnology company. CMX-1152 is one of the products resulting from over 20 years of scientific research by CereMedix founding scientist, Dr. Victor Shashoua and has received much international media and scientific community attention recently as a "break-through" anti-aging product. So significant is this advance in anti-aging technology that a nationally-syndicated television news magazine recently interviewed Lifeline's President, Bill Driscoll, with the intention of publishing a feature story on CMX-1152 in the coming months.

      A TRULY UNIQUE APPROACH

      …

      CMX-1152 represents a major leap forward in terms of dietary products designed to deliver anti-oxidants to the human body. Instead of pumping the body full of difficult to digest, largely un-absorbable, and generally ineffective exogenous oxygen scavengers, Lifeline's revolutionary product increases the body's production of its own natural antioxidants using a proprietary, patented peptide derived from a protein that occurs naturally in the human brain. This is believed to be a truly unique approach unlike anything else in the anti-aging, antioxidant field. CMX-1152 acts by mobilizing the body's own "defense and repair" mechanisms, including stimulating the production of the body's primary natural antioxidant enzymes. The result is the rescue of tissues and organs that would otherwise be irrevocably damaged by the effects of oxidative stress.

      PROVEN BY INDEPENDENT LAB TESTS…

      Independent laboratory analysis has already demonstrated encouraging corroboration of CereMedix's own research, indicating that CMX-1152 up-regulates key antioxidant enzymes by more than 400% above normal levels. In other studies, rats that suffered ischemic strokes were given CMX-1152 and the effects of the strokes were almost completely reversed. Similarly, geriatric mice that received the drug showed significant signs of returning youthfulness. "It's hard to effectively put into words the importance of this licensing agreement for CMX-1152," said Mr. Driscoll. "Lifeline now has the opportunity to develop the solution to a major human need, while also developing a multi-billion dollar product which could bring hope to hundreds of millions of people worldwide who might otherwise prematurely age due to the incredible ravages to their bodies caused by free radicals and oxidation." "We are confident that we have chosen the right partner to effectively bring this unique, revolutionary product to market," said CereMedix President and CEO, Steve Parkinson. "Lifeline has ambitious plans to see that the benefits of CMX-1152 can serve human needs all around the world," Mr. Parkinson continued. "We sought a partner that recognized that CMX-1152 is not like any conventional

      dietary supplement and consequently would make this unique platform of using the natural biology of the body to heal itself the focus of its marketing platform." Clinical trials, for CMX-1152 as an over-the-counter oral supplement, are expected to be completed by the end of the first quarter of 2004. Lifeline intends to start marketing the product, under a yet-to-be-determined brand name, in the second quarter of 2004. In the meantime, Lifeline is preparing to take advantage of its very unique competitive advantage in a huge market.

      ABOUT THE US DIETARY SUPPLEMENT MARKET…

      In 2001, the Nutrition Business Journal estimated the total sales of dietary supplements to be a staggering $17.8 billion dollars. In an attempt to hold off the onslaught of aging, $5 billion is spent annually on anti-aging products in the US alone, with more than $2 billion of that directly attributable to antioxidant supplements. Unfortunately, these supplements cannot substitute for the effectiveness of the body's natural antioxidants, due to dosage limitations, digestive tract barriers, poor absorption rates and inability to affect the body at the intra-cellular level. CMX-1152, it is believed, overcomes all these barriers through its unique mode of action in up-regulating the body's own antioxidant system.

      ABOUT LIFELINE NUTRACEUTICALS…

      Lifeline is a privately held, Denver-based company whose principle business is the manufacture, marketing and distribution of dietary supplements. Lifeline Nutraceutical's initial product and marketing focus is exclusively on its CMX-1152 product. Lifeline has already commenced discussions with major corporations regarding sub-license agreements and other collaborative arrangements in order to aggressively bring CMX-1152 to the global market. For more information, please contact Bill Driscoll at 720-488-1711 or billdriscoll@...

      ABOUT CEREMEDIX…

      CereMedix is a privately held development stage biotechnology company with a novel genetics-based technology platform and several drugs in development. The company's technology is founded on a patented discovery by Dr. Victor E. Shashoua of a family of peptides that can up-regulate endogenous human genes which express enzymes and growth factors. These enzymes and growth factors can defend and repair cells and tissues against oxidative damage caused by aging and numerous disease conditions. CereMedix believes its unique approach to health care in utilizing natural healing properties of the body heralds the future of medicine. The company's candidate product portfolio includes potential drugs for pre-treatment of cardiac surgery-related trauma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), ischemic stroke, Parkinson's disease, Alzheimer's disease, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), Huntington's disease, AIDS-related dementia, myocardial infarction, and multiple anti-aging indications. The company's most advanced therapeutic is an acute treatment that can reduce and protect against some of the damage caused by the trauma, including oxidative stress, of cardiac surgery and in particular artery bypass surgery. This drug candidate is expected to enter human clinical trials next year.

      QUICKIES

      Life is like an escalator

      , you can move forward or backward, but you can’t remain still. Patricia Russell-McCloud, Motivational speaker.

      American soldiers today are twice

      as likely to survive combat wounds as those during WWII. But DARPA, the Defense Department’s research branch hopes to keep them fighting longer. One of the groups goals is to keep wounded soldiers pulling the trigger for up to four days without a medic or evacuation. One avenue of research is developing a smart bandage that delivers tiny electrical shocks to accelerate tissue repair. Adapted from WIRED

      New on the market: Colgate Orabase Soothe-N-Seal

      . A gel-style resin that incorporates a painkiller and an anti-inflammatory. Intended to treat canker sores. Band Aid Liquid Bandage A consumer version of Dermabond. Forms a waterproof seal on skin. Comes off by itself after five days. Ibid

      It’s not clear how much sleep the Army thinks wounded soldiers need, but if they’re not wounded, the Army’s goal is to keep them awake for seven days without sleep. Currently, the US Army’s Aero- medical Research Laboratory is testing an anti-sleep agent called modafinil. Sold by Cephalon under the name Provigil, the compound can keep users up for two or three days at a stretch, without side-effects. Ibid

      In the past, we’ve reported here

      on the ingenious ways funeral homes respond to the needs of their customers. It turns out that one of the most fail safe growth industries today is oversize caskets for obese people. The Goliath Casket Co. of Lynn, Indiana can’t build them fast enough. When Keith and Julane Davis started the company in the late 80’s, they sold just one triple wide, their biggest model, each year. Now they’re shipping 4 to 5 triple wides a month. Business is increasing 20% annually. San Francisco Chronicle

      A Guide to AntiAging Drugs

      By Thomas Donaldson, Ph.D.

      The American Cryonics Society ("ACS") has made arrangements with long time cryonicist Thomas Donaldson to publish and distribute his latest edition of A Guide to AntiAging Drugs. Dr. Donaldson has studied the affects of various drugs and food supplements on longevity for many years. He has written extensively for cryonics magazines and publishes "Periastron," a news magazine that centers on brain research.

      Thomas Donaldson first published A Guide to AntiAging Drugs in 1994 in a loose-leaf binder format. This format allows the owner to replace pages that are updated by Thomas as new information becomes available. When additional experiments and studies provide new information, Thomas can send the book-owner this supplemental information. Thus, the guide is the last antiaging book that the reader needs to buy!

      ACS plans to sell the "Guide" on its website (www.AmericanCryonics.org) for $36.24
      (CA residents add $2.67 for sales tax with a total of $38.91).

      Our special price to ACS members & for this mailing is $30.69
      (CA residents add $2.22 for sales tax with a total of $32.91).

      The book-owner may then subscribe to Dr. Donaldson’s Update Service

      for an additional $5 sent directly to him.:

      Introduction: Why we must do it ourselves?

      Chapter 13: Coenzyme Q10, Improving our

      Chapter 1: A Short Survey of AntiAging Drugs

      Immune Systems

      Chapter 2: Antioxidants as Drugs Against Aging

      Chapter 14: Human Growth Hormone,

      Chapter 3: Cysteine and SH-Groups

      Outgrowing Aging

      Chapter 4: Pantothenate, a Vitamin that May Work

      Chapter 15: Extracts of Ginkgo biloba: Extracting

      Chapter 5: And Pyridoxine (Vitamin B6) is Another

      Old Age?

      Chapter 6: Procaine, the Famous One

      Postscript: What These Drugs May Tell Us, and

      Chapter 7: Deanol, a Test Case for Antiaging Drugs

      More

      Chapter 8: Deprenyl, a New Drug Against Aging

      Appendix 1: Biochemistry and the Action of

      Chapter 9: Levodopa, the Hard Stuff

      Drugs

      Chapter 10: Melatonin, Changes in the Night

      Appendix 2: Drugs Waiting in the Wings

      Chapter 11: Phenformin and Phenytoin, Two

      Appendix 3: Some Suppliers of Antiaging Drugs

      Drugs to Watch

      Appendix 4: Not Against Aging. Two Popular

      Chapter 12: Chromium, Shining Away the Sugar

      Drugs Failing the Lifespan Test

      Here is the table of contents:

      "

      *Please allow 2-3 weeks for your order to arrive.

      MAIL ORDER FORM

      Name

      Address

      City

      State

      Zip

      Telephone

      E-mail

      Mail to:

      American Cryonics Society

      P.O. Box 1509

      Cupertino, CA 95015

      Christopher Reeve’s Quest

      Christopher Reeve’s will and determination should be an inspiration to disabled people and cryonicists alike. For the disabled, it’s the improvments in his spinal cord injury since his accident that have confounded medical experts, for cryonicists, it’s the knowledge that medical professsionals are a long way from fully knowing the true damage done by freezing and warm ischemia

      .

      It has been eight years since Christopher Reeve broke his neck at an equestrian competition in Culpepper, Virginia. After his horse stopped suddenly before an obstacle, Reeve flipped forward and suffered what doctor’s call a "hangmans injury." Death by hanging often results from suffocation. After the accident Reeve was heard to say "I can’t breathe."

      Reeve’s injury left him paralyzed from the shoulders down. He was unable to breathe on his own. Doctors immediately placed him on a ventilator. He was informed that his injury was permanent, and that he would no longer feel sensation in ninety percent of his body. Reeve stated "I was told from the start that it was hopeless, that it was impossible for me to regain movement below the shoulders."

      He said that "every scientist should remove the word ‘impossible’ from his lexicon." Not only does Reeve want to cure himself, he is determined to transform medical research which he feels is constrained by excessive caution. "Research should not be reckless, but it should be fearless. If you don’t add courage to the equation, the scientific aspect will go to waste."

      Up to now, Reeve’s progress has been remarkable. He’s able to use the biceps of his right arm against resistance. When in a swimming pool, he’s able to push himself off with his legs.

      "One day I expect to get up from this wheelchair." This claim, which he’s often made in speeches has not been well received by certain scientists and advocates for the disabled. Some critics claim he’s in a state of denial, others have called him a spoiled celebrity who raises false hopes.

      Charles Krauthammer, a prominent columnist, who’s also wheelchair bound and has a medical degree, wrote an angry appraisal of Reeve after the actor appeared in a TV commercial touting advances in spinal cord research.

      Reeve is aware that his intention to recover has been dismissed, even denigrated. Yet he is not as naive as some of his doubters think. Reeve has a dogged intelligence, and in the past eight years he has developed a nuanced understanding of the biology of spinal-cord injury, he has learned how the scientific establishment sets priorities and conducts its research; and he has deciphered the ways that different branches of the government permit or bar innovative medical treatments.

      Reeve knows that his fame gives him unique access to the media, to politicians, and to fund-raising dollars. By exploiting these resources, he has set out to change the way things are done in the clinic, the laboratory, and the government. He believes that only by causing a revolution in all three realms does he have a chance.

      It is perhaps easy to view Reeve's quest as one driven by hubris; it is far from certain that he will walk again. However, the steady, incremental progress he has made is extraordinary and, to many scientists, confounding. Indeed, ,the results have been so encouraging that mainstream researchers are reconsidering the dogma that long-term paralysis is irreversible-and paralyzed patients around the world are beginning to follow Reeve's lead.

      He considered suicide, but his wife Dana helped change his mind. "Chris had to make his own decision," she said. "I was very clear that I was in it for the long haul. I said, "you’re still you, and I love you. Let's give it two years, and if in that time life is too agonizing let's reevaluate."'

      Nearly everything that Reeve read asserted that patients like him could not improve. He eventually discovered, how ever, that a few physicians and neuroscientists had taken a contrarian position. One was V. R. Edgerton, a neuroscientist at U.C.L.A. Edgerton had theorized in the early eighties that the spinal cord could function independently of the brain. This was at odds with the prevailing view that the spinal cord was merely a cable connecting brain and body.

      "When scientists think they know how something works, it becomes difficult to get new ideas accepted," Edgerton told me. Virtually no decent scientist would study spinal-cord injury. "The dominant view was: it's a hopeless situation," he said. "Spinal-cord-injury research was considered 'the graveyard of neurobiology."

      Edgerton began experimenting with cats whose spinal cords had been cut with a scalpel midway down their backs. The injured cats were placed in a harness and put on a treadmill. The idea was to make the cats mimic normal walking, to see if inducing such repetitive activity could reawaken circuits that Edgerton believed had been shut down by the injury. The experiment was a success: after using the treadmill for three to six months, most of the cats could walk again.

      Werriig's experiment was inspired by the observation that when newborn babies are held upright, their toes touching the ground, they spontaneously move their feet in a stepping motion. To him, this suggested that there was an innate 'program 'within the human spinal cord for walking; perhaps this program could be retrieved, like an intact file on a damaged hard drive.

      In November, at a conference in New Orleans, Reeve met with John McDonald, an ambitious spinal-cord researcher at Washington University in St. Louis. McDonald agreed to supervise his therapy, and that winter, for the first time since his accident, Reeve entered a swimming pool.

      Around this time, Reeve found that he could wiggle the toes on his left foot. 'The sequence didn't make any sense," he said. 'So I thought, why shouldn’t I try everything?" In 2001, Reeve discovered that he could move his right leg slightly when lying on his back- His left leg revived next. Finally, Reeve's arms started to respond; he still can't lift them while sitting up, but his exercises in the pool are making them stronger. His workouts are now so rigorous, , that he often feels muscle burn afterward.

      McDonald's association with Reeve has allowed him to create a flourishing rehabilitation institute in St. Louis. Forty patients are now undergoing treatment. McDonald recently started a pediatric program. "I credit Chris with leading me down this path, he has said.

      In 2001, McDonald began studying groups of paralyzed patients. He discovered that patients who used the electrical- stimulation bike had fewer pressure sores, blood clots, and infections. "The best way to avoid skin breakdown is put two inches of muscle on your buttocks," McDonald said. "The best way to build bone density is to put radial forces on bone. The bike is the best way to do that."

      Critics note that Reeve has financial resources that far exceed those of ordinary families. When asked how he pays for the team of eighteen people, from nurses to physical therapists, who regularly assist him. (His annual medical expenses exceed five hundred thou- sand dollars a year; his insurance covers two-thirds of that.)

      Before the accident, Reeve explained, he was a member of three unions, and his disability benefits were unusually large, totaling some four million dollars. He also receives free equipment from manufacturers who hope to draw attention to their products; one company gave him an electrical- stimulation bike, which cost a hundred thousand dollars, for home use.

      Reeve is unapologetic about mobilizing his resources to sustain his life and spur his recovery. He points out that he has worked tirelessly to encourage bold scientific research. To help ordinary families, he argues, exotic experiments need to become everyday procedures. And Reeve believes that too many researchers lack a sense of urgency.

      As Reeve became acquainted with the scientific community, he grew frustrated by the widespread careerism. "Professors with tenure submit a grant application to get a little bit of money to try to have a little bit more success, which would then get them another grant and then another few years to achieve another little bit of success, but not to launch a major presumptive strike to get rid of the whole problem," he said.

      Later, he added, 'I want things to happen quickly. I certainly want to benefit within my lifetime. I don’t want to get out of this wheelchair at the age of seventy-five. I am fifty-one, and am now very healthy, and would like to be out of the chair very soon. I'm not willing to resign myself to being an advocate for research that will benefit people only after I'm gone. I'm not that noble." He laughed, but it wasn’t a joke.

      Even more controversial, Reeve believes that researchers need to stop being so timid about giving experimental therapies to humans. In the United States a new therapy is typically tested on animals for years before it is tested on humans, and even then it is administered to a slowly growing group.

      Most scientists think that this approach protects patients, but Reeve believes that it often harms more than it helps---by slowing science to a crawl.

      In our conversation, he described how, in a commencement address at an Ivy League medical school, he had told the students the story of Hans Keirstead, a professor at Irvine. Keirstead, who was working with human embryonic stem cells, had designed a treatment protocol that shortened the three stages of a traditional clinical trial to two stages. 'I said to the audience, 'This is how these young guys are thinking. This is a young scientist who really wants to make a difference. What he did was truly commendable,'" Reeve recalled

      Afterward, he went on, This tenured professor said to me, "That is very disturbing. It's very upsetting, because thats rushing things, and if one mistake is made it could set the whole field back ten years."

      Reeve replied, "It might be upsetting to you, because it's not the way you are used to thinking. But it’s not upsetting  to me as a patient. Because, let's face it, nothing of any significance has ever been achieved without reasonable risk."

      "Early results have been promising, however, and nobody appears to have been harmed. In October, Wise Young, the researcher at Rutgers, traveled to Beijing to examine Huang's patients. "I saw this with my own eyes," he told me. No one should view Huang’s protocol as miraculous, Young said, "but it is bringing back sensation and some motor function." All the patients in Huang's study had chronic injuries, he said; on average, they had been paralyzed for two years. "One very puzzling thing is that many of the patients are recovering function within three to five days, which is too fast for regeneration," Young added. "There may be some other mechanism of recovery that we don’t understand.'

      Reeeve is even more excited by the work of Dr. Hongyun Huang, a Chinese neurosurgeon. Huang, making a leap that Reeve applauds and others condemn, has injected olfactory glial cells into the spinal cords of nearly four hundred paralyzed patients, including three Americans. Huang obtained the glial cells from aborted human fetuses. (Such fetal-tissue research is banned in some U.S. states, and the Bush Administration supports a federal ban.)

      The speed with which Huang has moved to clinical trials has stunned many in the West. Some scientists, such as Ram6n-Cueto, think it is important to do more research first; she is determined to do primate trials of her method before proposing human studies. Given that scientists do not yet fully understand why glial-cell implantation works in rats, the F.D.A. would also, likely have been wary of green lighting Huang's study.

      Since news of Huangs success leaked out on Internet discussion groups, thousands of desperate patients have contacted him. Huang has set up a program that allows Americans and other non-Chinese to visit Beijing for one month, for surgery and preliminary rehabilitation. The cost is twenty thousand dollars; six thousand people, Huang says, are now on a waiting list for the program.

      Young, who has created a Web site, Sciwire.com, to dispel rumors overstating the promise of new methods, tells patients who ask about Huang's trial to wait for more data. "But there is no way

      you can talk these people out of doing it," he said. "You can tell them wait another year until the paper has come out and maybe he’ll come to the states and they say, Hey, I don’t want to wait three or four years to try this."'

      When asked what part of his rehabilitation he treasured most, he replied " The warmth of human skin was the sensation he valued most. Feeling my children’s touch again—that’s been the most amazing thing. Adapted from The New Yorker

      CI ONLINE DISCUSSION GROUP

      The Cryonics Institute recently instituted an online discussion group for CI members. {Cryonics_Institute@yahoogroups.com}

      The forum has attracted a number of participants, and from them one senses a sense of frustration at not being given the necessary support in making local suspension arrangements and being able to communic

      (Message over 64 KB, truncated)