HELLO

  • huw.williams@rbkc.gov.uk
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2005
      HELLO

      I would like to inform people of a wonderful film I saw on Thursday night called "Victim."  This is a 1961 film staring the gay actor Dirk Bogarde who plays a very suyccessful barrister being blackmailed for being gay. The film is well acted and deals I think with the issue in a very realistic way, and was possibly influencial in the change of the laws relating to homosexuality several years later.

      The film is currently being shown at the Institute for Contemporary Arts ( ICA) on the Mall and I would thoroughly recommend it. huw

      [&
      The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea

      This e-mail may contain information which is confidential, legally privileged and/or copyright protected. This e-mail is intended for the addressee only. If you receive this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from your computer.

    • Bernard Bucan
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2005
        I attended a film studies course about twenty years ago - yes, guys, I
        AM a polar bear - and my fellow students included someone who had
        actually worked on this movie as a script girl, or some such. She
        informed me that every male connected with the movie was gay(albeit
        closeted, for the most part), and that they considered this movie to be
        a labour of love, intended to inform the general public of how gay men
        had to hide their sexuality in those days.

        On a different tack, and to be slightly 'off-topic', can I recommend
        that if you are interested in buying the DVD set of the western series
        "Deadwood" - which, to my surprise none of the British terrestrial TV
        channels has taken up - you do NOT buy the British edition of the
        series, but try to get hold of the Region 1 release. This is because it
        contains all sorts of extras, not found on the Region 2 release. As a
        lover of movies, BTW, this is a bete noire of mine: the fact that there
        are so many movies released over here on DVD that do not contain the
        supplementary materials often found on the Region 1 releases. A case in
        point is the recently released major set of DVDs from Twentieth Century
        Fox, most of which were released in Region 1 with commentaries,
        background information, etc.

        Bernard (Bucan)

      • huw.williams@rbkc.gov.uk