Re: [londonbearsmovieclub] Re: Boystown

  • Anthony E17
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 2, 2008
      Hi Vince,

      Mark Everson and I have seen the following films at the festival:

      You Belong to Me - We both found this a bit too long - though apparently it is having an additional screening, so has obviously been popular.

      Boystown - we absolutely loved this, the central couple were very cute. The two older female characters, Rey's mother and the detective were absolutely brilliant. It was very funny how the young detective, Rosa's son, Luis gradually came out during the film - absolutely hilarious!

      Love and Other Disasters - This was very funny and not just because of Catherine Tate as the absolutely awful Tallulah. I thought it a nice touch how Peter the main male character realized how he didn't actually want a pretty boy, but ended up with the the older stable chap.

      Breakfast With Scot - I found it very touching how the tough former hockey player, Sam formed a good relationship with Scot, especially when he had initially been so unreceptive to Scot coming to live with him and Ed.

      Saturno Contro - I found this a little hard going, but hey maybe I am just not arty enough! I liked Roberta, the feisty young woman and the older very wise, straight-talking Turkish woman. I think the problem with this film was that the circle of friends was too big and it was hard to keep track of the angst in so many people's lives.

      Mark and I have still to see the following films:

      Monday 7th April - Tied Hands
      Wednesday 9th April - two short films - Rent, No Utilities and Speed Dating
      Thursday 10th April - Les Chansons d'amour

      Hope everyone is enjoying the festival, it's just a really nice atmosphere, so unscene like!

      Cheers,

      Anthony

      Vince Deehan <vince@...> wrote:
      Thanks Neil, for posting your review of BOYSTOWN. Were you at the Friday
      afternoon screening?

      Bernard, Huw and myself were at the afternoon screening on Saturday.
      We all really enjoyed the film. I thought it was lots of fun. The bear couple
      were both very cute and the way their relationship was portrayed was very
      positive and warm. One of the pair was very insecure and this made for some
      tension between them at times, which made it even more interesting. The only
      time during the film that I felt a bit disappointed was when their female best
      friend was first introduced. Her character seemed so stereotyped - the brassy
      woman who just loves the gays - but after a while I actually warmed to her.

      I was impressed by how well made the film was. The animated opening credits
      were very impressive and the whole film looked good and was well photographed
      and well acted. I would really recommend it as a light, fun film with a very
      nice representation of bears and bear life.

      There were a handful of bears in the audience, but not as many as I was hoping
      for. As the festival announcer said, many people were attracted to the film by
      the photo on the festival website and brochure, which showed an image from the
      sauna scene. The bears weren't in this photo, so most of the audience weren't
      there to see the bears, I imagine. If only they had used the still of the bear
      couple, then I'm sure more bears would have come along or would have heard
      about the film on the grapevine. Were there many bears at your screening, Neil?

      I have posted a short comment about the film on the festival website:

      http://www.bfi.org.uk/llgff/node/4840/comments

      It's interesting how the only two dramatic films that I'm aware of that feature
      bears in prominent roles, are both Spanish films set in Madrid. The other film
      being, BEAR CUB ( CACHORRO).

      <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0359045/trailers-screenplay-E22091-314>

      After the film we all went for a meal together and had a great chat with
      Bernard.

      Did anyone else from the group go to see BOYSTOWN? Anyone going to any other
      festival screenings?

      This afternoon, Huw and I are going to see BREAKFAST WITH SCOT and on Tuesday,
      we are seeing two documentaries, TEN MORE GOOD YEARS and FREEHELD.

      More info here:

      http://www.bfi.org.uk/llgff/breakfast_scot

      http://www.bfi.org.uk/llgff/ten_more_good_years_freeheld

      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 3, 2008
        Anthony wrote:

        > Mark Everson and I have seen the following films at the festival:

        Thanks for the reviews you sent. I enjoyed reading them. I also enjoyed
        BOYSTOWN and BREAKFAST WITH SCOT. I saw SATURNO CONTRO at last year's
        London Film Festival, and wasn't fussed on it - though I do like most of
        the director's previous films.

        Good luck with the rest of the films you are seeing. I hope you'll enjoy
        them.

        > Hope everyone is enjoying the festival, it's just a really nice
        >atmosphere, so unscene like!

        I agree, totally. The mix of people there is great. Where else would you
        get gay men and women of all ages and backgrounds in the same place at
        the same time, apart from maybe a Gay Pride event.

        http://www.bfi.org.uk/llgff/