Sorry for cross posting.
My client is a revolutionary online giant, they have changed and influenced
what the www is today. They are looking to increase and grow the UX team and
are currently looking to recruit an experienced UI designer.
1. Department summary:
The Site Experience team are responsible for identifying and supporting
improvements to the user experience on the site, so users can complete and
enjoy their tasks on the site, through a holistic understanding of user
* Understanding user experience issues and user requirements
* Representing the user's requirements in business decisions and
* Driving innovation on the site to improve the user experience
2. Overall purpose of role: how the role adds value to the department
and to the company
The User Interface Designer will add value to the Site Experience team and
company through optimising the design of changes to the site, especially
local development, and evangelising the users' perspective in all site
changes. They will support other departments, especially the Product
Management team, providing objective expert advice to ensure that changes to
the site are made with consideration to the user's perspective. They will
generate and refine interface solutions that meet the needs of the user and
the business. The UI designer will work closely with the User Experience
Researcher to make sure that all designs are informed by user insight.
3. Core responsibilities: key regular activities of the job
* Understanding user experience requirements
o Being familiar with user research carried out in the US and UK
o Identifying the need for additional research to inform product and
o Support UER in carrying out regular user research in-house, mainly
as part of the local development cycle. This will include usability
research, competitor benchmarking, card sorting, prototype iteration etc.
o Building and maintaining relationships with sister departments in
the US, including the UI and Creative teams.
* Generating and refining interface solutions
o Using familiarity with company design guidelines and industry best
practice to generate design solutions at different levels of fidelity (from
wireframe through prototype iteration to final solution).
o Leading the development team to explore design options.
o Creating and applying design frameworks that consider the entire
site and user experience.
o Setting the design direction for projects.
* Representing the user's requirements
o Providing guidance to teams implementing user-facing changes to the
site, giving objective advice (with supporting evidence) about optimal
o Building and maintaining relationships with key clients and
collaborators in the UK, including Product Management, Local Development,
Content, Marketplaces and Marketing.
o Presenting new product ideas and strategies to the exec staff.
o Presenting designs in progress to the exec staff and user
o Evangelising the user experience - clearly communicating vision and
values to the wider group.
* Driving innovation
o Working with the User Experience Research function to proactively
identify and prioritise areas for improvement to the site.
o Generating creative design solutions in line with product vision
o Helping to establish the case for change (involving analysis,
financial modelling, user research, prototype testing, A/B testing etc).
o Writing product specifications (IA, work flow, page functionality
and layout, etc.), which development teams can use to build the product.
o Supporting the Product Management team to implement the change,
then to evaluate product success and next steps.
o Working with the Local Development team to drive a user-centred
approach to local changes.
o Identifying and contributing to process improvements that help the
Site Experience perform at a higher level.
4. Experience required:
* Significant experience working as a user interface designer in an
online/interactive company or agency. Experience in interactive design
* Task analysis.
* Information architecture development.
* Iterative prototyping including paper prototyping.
* Site mock-ups
* Competitor benchmarking.
* Experience in user research techniques (especially usability testing
and paper prototyping) an advantage).
* Experience working with high-traffic websites and ecommerce sites
* Strong level of background knowledge of the user experience design
* Strong familiarity with key thinking in the field e.g. design
guidelines and principles.
* Keeps up-to-date with industry research and developments.
* Solid understanding of user experience design for the Web,
demonstrable design skills, and ability to show relevant work.
* Experience launching products for consumer web sites an advantage.
* Ability to generate high-fidelity design solutions:
* Work with UER to generate wireframes that are informed by user
* Develop design solutions at different levels of fidelity up to final
* Experience in supporting a case for change:
* Experience in putting together a persuasive argument for change,
including inputting to a business case (for example, evaluating the costs
and benefits of potential innovations), initiating and gaining consensus for
introducing or improving the site etc.
* Commercial & quantitative analytical skills an advantage e.g.
collecting and synthesising information to support decision making.
* Solid interpersonal skills and presentation skills, including the
ability to communicate effectively in small and large groups, for example
communicating results to senior management.
5. Technical skills:
Design solutions: experience using design packages including Visio,
Omnigraffle, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, Photoshop and FireWorks an advantage.
* Post-graduate qualification in Human Computer
Interaction, User Interface Design or similar.
7. Personal characteristics or further competencies required:
* Customer Insight & Focus: drive to deeply understand customers'
emotional and rational needs, preferably demonstrated by experience in a top
consumer or small business marketing environment
* eBay passion (e.g. Passion for enabling trade between buyers and
sellers; serving the needs of a self-directing market of members)
Specific to this role:
* Driven by a desire to understand user's requirements and to
represent them in optimised design solutions to fulfil and exceed the users'
* Able to prioritise and manage workload autonomously and
To apply for this position please email your CV along with details of your
current salary, desired salary, notice period and availability for interview
to me at bo@...
T: +44 (0) 1908 696 393
Skypein: +44 (0) 20 7193 3202
Clients: Evolve Consulting standard terms of business apply unless otherwise
agreed in writing a director of company. Candidates: By registering your CV
with us and accepting a job description as sent by an employee of Evolve you
are entering an agreement to be solely represented by Evolve in any
application to the client company in question. Standard candidate terms of
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]