Dulaan Project

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 13, 2006
      Hello!

      Many of you know that I haven't been able to attend a lot of meetings
      lately because of graduate courses in Library and Information Science.
      For my Leadership and Communication class, I was asked to choose a
      project or an idea that means a lot to me and execute it. I have
      chosen to have a knitting meet-up at the Logan Square Library to
      collect and create hand knits for the Dulaan Project. I am sending
      out the mass e-mail below to the entirety of the Chicago SnB, but I
      wanted to to specifically write all of you and ask you to join me and
      the knitters of Chicago to do something good. I know that a lot of
      you are busy with family, work, and other engagements, but if you
      could just take a couple of hours out of your day to meet up on a
      Saturday and knit for charity, it would mean so much to me. If you
      can't make it, but would still like to make something for the Dulaan
      Project, I will collect items at all of the meetings I can attend
      between now and early May when I send out the package.

      I look forward to seeing everyone! Let me know if you have any questions!

      Thanks a million,
      Becca

      The following letter I will (hopefully) be sending to the entire Chicago SnB
      listserv:

      Hello Knitters!

      Looking for a way to get rid of some of that wool to make room for new
      summer yarn? Why don't you meet up with other knitters and help to
      collect warm hand knits for the Dulaan Project. Never heard of the
      Dulaan Project? It's a project spearheaded by knitters to help warm
      Mongolia. Dulaan means "warm" in Mongolian -- both physical and
      emotional warmth. Mongolian winters are very extreme and temperatures
      can drop to -40 degrees Fahrenheit. Warm, well-made clothing can help
      warm a body, but can also give an opportunity for a child to go to
      school or an adult to go to work.

      Stop by the Logan Square Public Library (located at 3030 West
      Fullerton Avenue in Logan Square) between 2pm and 4:30pm on Saturday,
      April 22nd. Bring a hand knit you've already finished, start a quick
      project at the meet-up, or simply click your needles together and
      cheer on those busily knitting away. I will be sending the projects
      collected out at the beginning of May, so if you don't think you'll be
      finished with your project by April 22, talk to me at the library and
      we can work something out to get your knits where they are most
      needed.

      For the projects themselves, you may use whatever yarn and colors you
      like. There is a need for hats, mittens, socks, neck gaiters, scarves
      and sweaters for all ages from babies to adults�especially for
      children ages 2-10. Think warmth and simplicity. Links to patterns are
      posted at <www.whitehalldesign.com/dulaan/dulaanpatterns.htm>,
      including one for double-thick fleece blankets that require no
      knitting or sewing.

      For anymore information on the Dulaan project, please check out:

      http://www.nwkniterati.com/movabletype/archives/MossyCottageDulaanFlyer2006_color3.pdf

      or

      Check out Ryan's blog at:
      http://www.nwkniterati.com/movabletype/archives/MossyCottage/001591.html

      This particular entry shows pictures of the children of Mongolia
      receiving some of their hand knits. I dare you not to pick up your
      pointy sticks after looking at that one!

      If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me at:
      rebeccaboland@.... Please put Dulaan in the subject line so I
      can get back to you as soon as possible.

      All are welcome! (We happily invite our crochet, sewing, and
      otherwise stitchin' cousins to join us as well).

      I look forward to seeing you all!

      Becca Boland
      Proud Member of Logan Square SnB

      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 13, 2006
        Hi Becca!

        I love knitting for the Dulaan Project!

        Saturdays tend to be pretty busy for me, but I would
        like to help with this.

        So here is what I can offer you:

        1.) I already have some mittens and hats done for the
        Dulaan Project, and I can add them to your collection
        if you like.

        2.) I have approximately 1000 yards of %100 wool
        chunky yarn that knits up quickly. I was going to use
        this for the Dulaan Project anyway, so I am more than
        happy to share.

        3.) Although %100 wool is preferred, I can also
        contribute some %20 wool/%80 acrylic chunky weight
        yarn. I don't know what the yardage is, but there is
        certainly enough to make two or three child size
        sweaters.

        4.)Also, I can contribute a little money to cover the
        cost of postage.

        Becca, it is great that you are doing this! Thank
        you!

        Joyce

        --- Rebecca Boland <rebeccaboland@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > please check out:

        http://www.nwkniterati.com/movabletype/archives/MossyCottageDulaanFlyer2006_color3.pdf

        > or
        >
        > Check out Ryan's blog at:

        http://www.nwkniterati.com/movabletype/archives/MossyCottage/001591.html

        > This particular entry shows pictures of the children
        > of Mongolia
        > receiving some of their hand knits. I dare you not
        > to pick up your
        > pointy sticks after looking at that one!
        >
        > If you have any other questions, please feel free to
        > contact me at:
        > rebeccaboland@.... Please put Dulaan in the
        > subject line so I
        > can get back to you as soon as possible.
        >
        > All are welcome! (We happily invite our crochet,
        > sewing, and
        > otherwise stitchin' cousins to join us as well).

        Joyce M. Fitzgerald

        3656 W. Eddy, 2nd floor, Chicago, IL 60618

        bigwildonion@...
        jfitzg7@...

        (773) 580-7669 h, (312) 996-1014 w