question for you...

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 9, 2006
      Have you guys done a lot of felting? Here's my question: Can you felt
      cashmere?

      I know this sounds obnoxious but this is what I'm thinking... I have
      this obsession with recycling yarn which has so far only manifested
      with me going out and buying all sorts of old sweaters and then
      folding them on top of my yarn drawer without actually unwinding them
      or knitting them into anything. Well, once again today, I found
      myself in my local thrift shop, and once again I found a couple of
      lovely sweaters that I want to turn into something else. One is very
      finely knit, with big flowers embroidered over it, and I don't want to
      actually unwind it; I just want to cut a big square out of it and make
      that into one half of a cushion cover. The second sweater is a very
      similar colour to the first and is amazingly enough another 100%
      cashmere find. I thought I could just cut it up and make the second
      half of the cushion cover out of it, and then there would be one side
      that is all pretty and a second side that is all soft for laying your
      head against (ah!). However, the knitted cashmere is pretty stretchy,
      and I thought that felting it might make it less stretchy but still
      might retain its softness. That's why I'm asking...

      I am totally ready to believe that this is all just crazy talk, and
      that I should just find a happy recipient for the sweater (although
      it's a small, dark grey, shapeless, styleless turtleneck and its
      softness is really the only thing it has going for it) OR my other
      thought was that I could maybe sew it into a few luxurious soft
      pouches like the knitted ones in Last Minute Knitted Gifts and use
      them for gift bags (I really like that idea too...). Anyway, there's
      certainly no unwinding possible here- this thing was machine knitted
      with thread!

      Any thoughts on felting, fellow knitters?
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 9, 2006
        Denise,

        I haven't felted cashmere, but I found some articles that discuss it online:

        http://www.blackbirdsf.org/diy/blanket/
        http://discuss.gromco.com/snl/tz38238.html
        http://www.supernaturale.com/articles.html?id=68

        It looks like it's certainly possible . . . most of the articles I came
        across felted it on accident, and then were surprised by the super soft
        results. I hope this helps! Maybe someone has some firsthand knowledge,
        but I thought this might give you a head start!

        -Becca