in search of the perfect pattern

  • Kelsey Byers
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 9, 2007
      My best friend just bought me some super nice yarn. One of them is the Rowan Kidsilk
      Haze....its super thin. I have 2 balls of it, but I can get more. Just seeing if anyone has
      any suggestions for a pattern than would be good for this yarn. I do have some giant 50
      needles I have always wanted to use as well...but it doesnt matter. Just looking for a
      pattern that is relatively simple....I have only been knitting for a year.

      Thanks
      Kelsey
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 10, 2007
        Well, you could put the super thin yarn and the super
        big needles together. Knit a rectangle of plain
        stockingnet stitch with that and it will look lacy and
        amazing as a big scarf/shawl.

        Alternatively, I have tons of lace knitting patterns
        to share, many of which look much harder than they
        are. If you try a swatch of increases and decreases I
        think you will find them pretty straightforward, and
        it is paying attention to the combinations that
        creates lovely looks. Do you have something in
        particular you would like to make? Flat bits of lace
        are great for table decorations, bookmarks, pillow
        covers, etc.

        For those #50s, cut some cloth into strips or buy some
        thin clothesline and knit yourself a rug!

        Whew, I better go knit a few rows on my current
        projects before I get too carried away with something
        new myself!

        Ann

        --- Kelsey Byers <BLuDRoSe23@...> wrote:

        > My best friend just bought me some super nice yarn.
        > One of them is the Rowan Kidsilk
        > Haze....its super thin. I have 2 balls of it, but I
        > can get more. Just seeing if anyone has
        > any suggestions for a pattern than would be good for
        > this yarn. I do have some giant 50
        > needles I have always wanted to use as well...but it
        > doesnt matter. Just looking for a
        > pattern that is relatively simple....I have only
        > been knitting for a year.
        >
        > Thanks
        > Kelsey

      • k2yossk
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 12, 2007
          Hi - I just encountered the same problem a few months ago. After
          much searching for a good pattern, I used three balls of pale blue
          Kidsilk Haze to make a great shawl. The "pattern" is in the
          Alterknits book, but its so simple, there's no real pattern to
          follow.

          Using a Size 8 16" circular, cast on 90ish stitches (however many you
          need to join in the round and not stress your yarn too much).

          Join and knit until you run out of yarn. You end up with a long
          tube. You then get a piece of fabric slightly longer than your tube
          (I used a silk charmeuse in a complimentary shade of pale purple),
          surge the ends and feed it through the tube. Voila! Great shawl for
          nights out. I used three balls of Kidsilk, but I don't see why you
          couldn't use two and just have a shorter, more scarf-like contraption.

          btw - I'm new to the group, and am so excited about coming to my
          first meeting! I'll be bringing a friend who just moved to LSq and
          is starting to knit.

          Thanks!
          Kate Mathews

          --- In logan2knits@yahoogroups.com, "Ann Cibulskis, Tim Carpenter"