Re: Source of fasteners in the UK

  • stephen chan
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 1999
      Hello David:

      The best place to find "certified quality nuts and
      bolts" is at your nearest airfield. Aviation standards
      are second to none.

      For us N. Americans (UK and down under as well if they
      use "AN" numbers), there is a simple Windows 3.1/95/98
      program call "ScrewU2" written by a friend of mine
      David King that's free for download at:

      http://members.home.net/synergyge

      This program will give you an "AN" part number on
      specific part dimensions.

      Regards
      Stephen

      David Jenkins wrote:

      >Now that I've been convinced about the correct way to use metalastic bushes
      ><grin> I now need to find a source for nuts & bolts.
      >
      >Can anyone suggest a source of certified quality nuts and bolts in the UK?

      -----== Sent via Deja News, The Discussion Network ==-----
      http://www.dejanews.com/ Easy access to 50,000+ discussion forums
    • Alex Devonport
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1, 1999
        stephen chan wrote:

        > From: "stephen chan" <schan_ca@...>
        >
        > Hello David:
        >
        > The best place to find "certified quality nuts and
        > bolts" is at your nearest airfield. Aviation standards
        > are second to none.
        >
        > For us N. Americans (UK and down under as well if they
        > use "AN" numbers), there is a simple Windows 3.1/95/98
        > program call "ScrewU2" written by a friend of mine
        > David King that's free for download at:
        >
        > http://members.home.net/synergyge
        >
        > This program will give you an "AN" part number on
        > specific part dimensions.

        In the auto industry we typically use grade 8 fasteners for suspension, with a
        yield strength of 130 ksi, and these can be bought for a very reasonable price
        at your local home depot (USA). The aviation stuff is usually of equivalent
        strength but lighter and of course costs a lot more.

        regards, Alex
      • John O'Mahoney
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 1, 1999
          I bought my first set of bolts from Arrow Fasteners in Bedford, I beleive
          they have other outlets around the country.

          Then I started to use Trident Racing Supplies at Silverstone. As they supply
          people building racing cars around Silverstone they stock aircraft quality
          fasteners along with normal HT etc, together with Dzus, rivnuts, pop rivets
          etc etc. All the different fasteners are in bins so you see types that may
          be more appropriate for particular applications.

          If you aren't near Silverstone have a look at your nearest track there might
          be similar outlets.

          John