Source of fasteners in the UK

  • David Jenkins
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 31, 1999
      Folks,

      Now that I've been convinced about the correct way to use metalastic bushes
      <grin> I now need to find a source for nuts & bolts.

      Can anyone suggest a source of certified quality nuts and bolts in the UK?

      Cheers,

      David.

      P.S. I was finally convinced by a good friend of mine who spent a large part
      of his life servicing cars (including Rolls Royces). After a lecture of
      about 30 minutes I conceded defeat!
    • stephen chan
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1 12:50 AM
        Hello David:

        The best place to find "certified quality nuts and
        bolts" is at your nearest airfield. Aviation standards
        are second to none.

        For us N. Americans (UK and down under as well if they
        use "AN" numbers), there is a simple Windows 3.1/95/98
        program call "ScrewU2" written by a friend of mine
        David King that's free for download at:

        http://members.home.net/synergyge

        This program will give you an "AN" part number on
        specific part dimensions.

        Regards
        Stephen

        David Jenkins wrote:

        >Now that I've been convinced about the correct way to use metalastic bushes
        ><grin> I now need to find a source for nuts & bolts.
        >
        >Can anyone suggest a source of certified quality nuts and bolts in the UK?

        -----== Sent via Deja News, The Discussion Network ==-----
        http://www.dejanews.com/ Easy access to 50,000+ discussion forums
      • Alex Devonport
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 1 6:52 AM
          stephen chan wrote:

          > From: "stephen chan" <schan_ca@...>
          >
          > Hello David:
          >
          > The best place to find "certified quality nuts and
          > bolts" is at your nearest airfield. Aviation standards
          > are second to none.
          >
          > For us N. Americans (UK and down under as well if they
          > use "AN" numbers), there is a simple Windows 3.1/95/98
          > program call "ScrewU2" written by a friend of mine
          > David King that's free for download at:
          >
          > http://members.home.net/synergyge
          >
          > This program will give you an "AN" part number on
          > specific part dimensions.

          In the auto industry we typically use grade 8 fasteners for suspension, with a
          yield strength of 130 ksi, and these can be bought for a very reasonable price
          at your local home depot (USA). The aviation stuff is usually of equivalent
          strength but lighter and of course costs a lot more.

          regards, Alex
        • John O'Mahoney
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 1 12:36 PM
            I bought my first set of bolts from Arrow Fasteners in Bedford, I beleive
            they have other outlets around the country.

            Then I started to use Trident Racing Supplies at Silverstone. As they supply
            people building racing cars around Silverstone they stock aircraft quality
            fasteners along with normal HT etc, together with Dzus, rivnuts, pop rivets
            etc etc. All the different fasteners are in bins so you see types that may
            be more appropriate for particular applications.

            If you aren't near Silverstone have a look at your nearest track there might
            be similar outlets.

            John