Skip to search.

Re: SV: Ford Type 9 gearbox

  • Darren Ponton
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1, 2000

      >I suspect you could find a T5 easier, but is a big deal bulkier.

      In Australia a locally made T-5 is used in a few cars. In Holden Commodores
      fitted with GM 3.8litre V6s, the T-5 was replaced about 4 years ago with an
      imported 5 speed Gertrag gearbox that is supposed to be lighter and 'more
      refined' than the T-5.

      The Getrag box is made in Europe (Germany?), I've never seen one, but I've
      heard that it is almost as bulky as a T-5. Maybe an option for EU members on
      the list?

      Darren

    • Tom Rollins
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 3, 2000
        Thanks to all the input on this subject. I plan on going "junk yarding" in the next few weeks and hope to find a few T-5s and if I'm lucky a Type 9. I wont be buying, just viewing, measuring, and perhaps weighing. I might also check out the Pinto 4 speed box as well. I will post the results of such a trip when it is made.

        Regards,
        Tom Rollins
        trollins@...