Hello

  • Lion
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 22, 1999
      Hello, my name is Kari Scott and I live in the US. Ive been aware of the book
      for about a year but have only recently decided to make one. Im going to pick
      parts from cars that dont seem represented in the web pages ive seen and the
      book. Im sure there are quite extensive archives for this list to sort
      through and for that very reason I think it might be too much to sort
      through.

      Has anyone any information on using italian parts to build
      these? Specificly I want to use a 132 series twincam with a 131 or 125 series
      transmission. I dont anticipate problems with those since they are easy to
      mount.. im wondering more about suspensions. I have easy access to 124 rear
      live axles and 124's have 4 wheel disc brakes of excellent quality. I also
      have access to occasional spitifires and mgb's.

      To boil my question down, has anyone on the list made (or know someone who
      has) made one of these using a fiat 124ss or 131s donor car?

      Thanks
      leijona@...
    • Ben Chapman
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 22, 1999
        Hi Kari.
        The closest build to that donor is Duncan Ratcliff here in Australia, he is using
        the fiat 1800 twin cam and gearbox, and has an unfinished project in his shed
        that used fiat uprights. His current project mates the fiat engine/gearbox to the
        cortina rear end. I am sure he will be able to fill you in further, Duncan?
        Cheers
        Ben

        --
        Ben Chapman
        Research Engineer- Transport
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 22, 1999
          definately use the gas tank from the spitfire, it's a perfect fit and comes
          complete with a natty looking filler cap. for more info on building in the
          US check out my site, definately slanted towards the pinto but other useful
          info too. http://home.sprintmail.com/~fourays/

          regards, Alex

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 22, 1999
            Kari,
            About 10 years ago I met a fellow in Cambridge, Massachusetts, who had built a
            Seven replica using Fiat twin cam engine and running gear. If you are interested
            and if I can find the picture of it, I can scan it and send it to you.
            Esko Ala-Nisula

            Lion wrote:

            > From: Lion <leijona@...>
            >
            > Hello, my name is Kari Scott and I live in the US. Ive been aware of the book
            > for about a year but have only recently decided to make one. Im going to pick
            > parts from cars that dont seem represented in the web pages ive seen and the
            > book. Im sure there are quite extensive archives for this list to sort
            > through and for that very reason I think it might be too much to sort
            > through.
            >
            > Has anyone any information on using italian parts to build
            > these? Specificly I want to use a 132 series twincam with a 131 or 125 series
            > transmission. I dont anticipate problems with those since they are easy to
            > mount.. im wondering more about suspensions. I have easy access to 124 rear
            > live axles and 124's have 4 wheel disc brakes of excellent quality. I also
            > have access to occasional spitifires and mgb's.
            >
            > To boil my question down, has anyone on the list made (or know someone who
            > has) made one of these using a fiat 124ss or 131s donor car?
            >
            > Thanks
            > leijona@...

          • Lion
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 22, 1999
              Esko Ala-Nisula wrote:

              > From: Esko Ala-Nisula <eskoa@...>
              >
              > Kari,
              > About 10 years ago I met a fellow in Cambridge, Massachusetts, who had built a
              > Seven replica using Fiat twin cam engine and running gear. If you are interested
              > and if I can find the picture of it, I can scan it and send it to you.
              > Esko Ala-Nisula

              That would be wonderful! :)
              leijona@...
            • Duncan & Susan Ratcliff
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 23, 1999
                Funnily enough I am right in the middle of said project using Fiat bits.

                have a look at www.hutch.com.au/~13126624/Locostpage.html

                for some info or I will be happy to answer any specific q's.

                DTR

              • john@xxxxxxxxx.xxxxxxxxx.xx.xx
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 23, 1999
                  Hi there, I've just bought the book and joined the list.

                  A bit of details about myself first.

                  I'm 21, a university student, currently on my third year (placement year) of a BSc in computer science (yes, it has nothing to do with cars!).
                  My father is an experienced motor mechanic and is very keen to start on the build (he got the book on monday and is already looking for the metal for the chassis!).

                  Right, now thats out of the way...

                  We are planning on using a 1600cc Ford CVH engine from a XR3i, this will hopefully be the non EFI, mechanical injection model as fitted to earlier Escorts. 1992 and previous(?).
                  Gearbox will be from a ... (Sierra 5-speed?).

                  We are using this engine for several reasons...

                  1. The are millions (ok, well, LOADS!) of bumped and scrapped XR3/XR2i's around.
                  2. The engine is reliable and fairly simple, and easy to repair.
                  3. There is plenty of power as standard (115bhp IIRC).
                  4. Tweaking the engine for more horsepower should be relatively straightforward (i want to aim for about
                • stumann1@mindspring.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 16 11:09 PM
                    hi do something for yourself everyone is excited about this http://www.investcnbc.com