Re: Question on Brazing

  • Daniel
    Message 1 of 27 , Sep 7, 2011
      Hello David,

      Could you please indicate me the size of the gap needed to bronze weld the 1" RHS Tube? Making a chassis like Arch Motors did, at Home, is it feasible? Or does it have to be so tight as everybody explains? I have already cut some tubes with a hacksaw. No rush, And i'm gathering information everywhere.

      Thanks!

      Daniel
    • Mark Williams
      Message 2 of 27 , Sep 8, 2011
        Generally the fit needs to touch all the way around. allowing the bronze to only fill the imperfections in the cut. If the angle is off and you try to fill one end, the joint will be week.

        Get an angle grinder with a flap disk so you can fine tune your joints. I use a chop saw that does not cut a perfect angle, then i make it fit with the flap disk.

        Mark

        Could you please indicate me the size of the gap needed to bronze weld the 1" RHS Tube? Making a chassis like Arch Motors did, at Home, is it feasible? Or does it have to be so tight as everybody explains? I have already cut some tubes with a hacksaw. No rush, And i'm gathering information everywhere.

        Thanks!

        Daniel

      • Wayne
        Message 3 of 27 , May 7, 2012
          Mark is correct, get it as tight as possible. The smaller the gap the stronger the weld.

          wm