550kg locost

  • Peter Meline
    Message 1 of 42 , Mar 14, 2010
      Is it at all possible to build a locost below 550kgs

      With alloy engine, guards etc

      And everything pared right down?

      has anyone done it?

      Peter meline

      adelaide hills development services

      e:meline@...

      m: 0448 395 299

      f: 08 8398 3372

      p: PO Box 1508, Mt Barker SA 5251

      o: 72 Princes Hwy, Littlehampton SA 5250

    • Staffan Vilcans
      Message 42 of 42 , Mar 21, 2010
        Porsche Waddell skrev:

        > having already built a 7, my bro and I are seriously considering a diesel
        > engine in the next (thats if the bike engine fries!)
        > WHAT I hear you say!!! -- an OUTRAGE!!! ... well hear me out ..

        Yes, it has been done a few times before. I even saw that someone built a
        7 that ran on vegitable oil so they got their fuel for free from the
        chippers.

        > I have a Vauxhall Astra here in the UK .. called other things in other
        > countries ..

        Yes, either Opel Astra or Opel Kadett in mainland Europe (depending on
        when it was made).

        > The bad news is its front wheel drive .. but get over that and I think
        > some guys have .. I'm sure it will be an outstanding engine.

        Unless you want to mount it in mid-engine position or use front wheel
        drive (now what would cause an outrage!) you could look for a suitable
        rear wheel drive gearbox from a car using an engine in the same family. If
        it's the JTD engine ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JTD_engine ) it looks
        like it was used by many manufacturers. GM Omega is a popular choice for
        RWD conversion. Perhaps you could check if that fits.
        It's a long shot but I see that it was used in the Saab 9-3 and 9-5 and
        Saab engines are a popular choice for engine swaps in BMWs and sine back
        then Saab was a GM product you could perhaps use a BMW gearbox.

        --
        http://www.interface1.net