Re: [locost] Dry Sump

  • Nick Norman
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 24, 2007
      On Sunday 24 June 2007 13:51:40 Leslie Newell wrote:
      > There isn't any real technical problem with reasonably long hoses. They
      > do need to be big enough to prevent any restriction, especially the feed
      > to the pressure pump. You really don't want the pump to cavitate. It is
      > a bad idea to put the tank in the cockpit though. If you get a leak the
      > driver/passenger could end up getting sprayed with very hot oil.
      >
      > Les

      Les,

      Thanks,

      I was thinking more of the 'boot' area and running - say - 22mm copper for the
      pipe runs

      More to think about come thr re-engine this winter!

      Nick

      --
      "I could send you a bone with a file in it, only you'd eat it."
      (Moving Pictures)
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 24, 2007
        Hi Nick

        When I built mine I put a cylindrical tank in the engine bay in front of
        the battery. I used a Pinto engine so the exhaust was on the other
        side. I can send you pics if you send me your email address.

        Dougie Wells

        Wintech Ltd.

        Tel. 01902 307 430

        Mob. 07903 139031

        E. d.wells@...

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 24, 2007
          On Sunday 24 June 2007 18:38:17 Dougie Wells wrote:
          > Hi Nick
          >

          > When I built mine I put a cylindrical tank in the engine bay in front of
          > the battery. I used a Pinto engine so the exhaust was on the other
          > side. I can send you pics if you send me your email address.
          >

          > Dougie Wells
          >
          > Wintech Ltd.
          >
          > Tel. 01902 307 430
          >
          > Mob. 07903 139031
          >
          > E. d.wells@...
          >
          > ________________________________

          Hi,

          I've got a x-flow so steering/pedals on side and exhaust the other! However
          all ideas welcome

          my name _AT_ dctower_DOT_co_DOT.uk should work

          Regards

          Nick

          --
          What your soldier wants-- really, really wants -- is no-one shooting back
          at him.
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 27, 2007
            Nick Norman wrote:
            > Hi all,
            >
            > A silly question but I don't know the answer so ...
            >
            > With a dry sump system (I have the pump and the sump) does the oil tank have
            > to be in the engine compartment or can it live soemwhere else and have long
            > (ish) oil lines to take scavange and HP supply etc.?
            >
            > There is not really enough space (or is there) in the engine compartment of my
            > locost to put a standard oil tank (got one but comes form an escort so is
            > rather tall)
            >
            > TIA
            >
            > Nick

            The Oil tank need not be in the engine bay but,

            The supply from the tank to pump should never go uphill,
            IE the tank should be level or higher than the pump.

            Use flexible line IE Aeroquipe,
            Hard line is a very bad idea on long runs.

            Check out Speedway motors for Peterson tanks, they make a nifty
            6 quart tank thats tall and skinny. (Often used on Midget racers)
            That does a grat job at de-foaming the oil.

            Youll need a AN-12 supply and return line from tank to pump.
            Scavenger lines should be at least AN-10 or 12.

            Supply line from Pump to engine block is AN-10 or if your using a
            ford block and the side mounted pump like the Kents use you won't need a
            supply line.

            A Setrab cooler is a great choice (Use a Mocal thermostat with it
            especially for street cars).

            Good Luck
            Dave