Re: [locost] LHD sierra steering rack

  • Keith Williams
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 23, 2005
      I got a Toyota Starlett rack and think it's a winner. Only 20" between U-joints which isn't too far off the control arm pivots. Shoudn't bump-steer too badly. CHEERS KEITH WILLIAMS

      Ed Bratt <bratt@...> wrote:Thx:

      If you are desperate, you can probably get an XR4Tii rack from North America. Try www.car-part.com

      Ed
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 23, 2005
        Keith : If you are trying to make a left hand drive,turn the right hand
        drive rack over end for end. Then the steering shaft will be on the left.
        David Loll
        hilltopper41@...
        >I got a Toyota Starlett rack and think it's a winner. Only 20" between
        >U-joints which isn't too far off the control arm pivots. Shoudn't
        >bump-steer too badly. CHEERS KEITH WILLIAMS
        >
        > Ed Bratt <bratt@...> wrote:Thx:
        >
        > If you are desperate, you can probably get an XR4Tii rack from North
        > America. Try www.car-part.com
        >
        > Ed

      • Geoff Tyler

          >I got a Toyota Starlett rack and think it's a winner. Only 20" between
          >U-joints which isn't too far off the control arm pivots. Shoudn't
          >bump-steer too badly. CHEERS KEITH WILLIAMS
          >
          > Ed Bratt <bratt@...> wrote:Thx:
          >
          > If you are desperate, you can probably get an XR4Tii rack from North
          > America. Try www.car-part.com
          >
          > Ed

        • Keith Williams

            wrote:Thx:

            > If you are desperate, you can probably get an XR4Tii rack from North
            > America. Try www.car-part.com
            >
            > Ed

          • dave cave
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 24, 2005
              If you really want a sierra steering rack with a danish accent i.e. LHD i`ll try and find you one at a breakers and send it on at cost, but i´m afraid it would be money up front. Regards Dave

              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 24, 2005
                Hello everybody!

                has anyone got the dashboard - bulkhead plans?

                please send it al lr54vw56@... or alejols@...

                Thanks,Alejandro Londono.

              • David Loll
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 24, 2005
                  Keith; Chevy chevette is front mount.
                  David Loll
                  hilltopper41@...
                  > until I realized it was behind the wheels and my Mustang 2 spindles
                  > require a front mount and obviously they wouldn't work behind if I
                  > inverted them.
                  >
                  > Geoff Tyler <gtyler315@...> wrote:OK, I'll be the one to say
                  > it.......
                  > You can't just turn the rack over, unless you like inverted steering. i.e.
                  > left wheel for right turn and visa versa. You can get away with it if you
                  > also swap over the front hubs, so you'd make it rear steer instead of
                  > front (or visa versa..), but that opens another whole can of worms with
                  > ackerman angles, etc etc.
                  >
                  > ATB, Geoff.
                  >
                  > David Loll wrote:
                  > Keith : If you are trying to make a left hand drive,turn the right hand
                  > drive rack over end for end. Then the steering shaft will be on the left.
                  > David Loll
                  > hilltopper41@...

                • Keith Williams
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 24, 2005
                    go to summit racing on the net. you can have a rack custom built for midget racers if you want and they can supply about any stock unit.

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Günther Pommer
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 25, 2005
                      I'm using chevy chevette on my LHD car. Works fine and is cheap and fully
                      rebuildable. Also realized that my '98 Dodge Dakota has a front mounted
                      power steering rack. Should also do without the power aid.

                      Cheers,
                      Gunther (Chile)

                    • nitrogeno24
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 28, 2005
                        Hi Günther, I think you are refering to the Brazilian Chevette...

                        If so, What is the width of the Chevette rack?

                        Thanks a lot.

                        Gonzalo.

                        --- In locost@yahoogroups.com, Günther Pommer <gpommer@y...> wrote:
                        > I'm using chevy chevette on my LHD car. Works fine and is cheap
                        and fully
                        > rebuildable. Also realized that my '98 Dodge Dakota has a front
                        mounted
                        > power steering rack. Should also do without the power aid.
                        >
                        > Cheers,
                        > Gunther (Chile)

                      • felipe duenas
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 28, 2005
                          Alejandro:
                          Dime que exactamamente quieres
                          creo que es el layout del tablero de instrumentos pero no estoy seguro
                          yo estoy construyendo un chassis de prueba segun el libro ,y con las
                          correciones
                          necesarias motor Nissan 1.6 16v caja Nissan y eje trasero Toyota Corolla
                          gts de 1987, con frenos de disco
                          Felipe Dueñas
                          Guayaquil Ecuador

                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 28, 2005
                            Hi my name is Felipe i'm from Ecuador
                            The rack from the chevette are 10" from mount to mount, and between 45" and
                            46" long with the outer tie rod installed
                            Felipe
                            Hi Günther, I think you are refering to the Brazilian Chevette...

                            If so, What is the width of the Chevette rack?

                            Thanks a lot.

                            Gonzalo.

                            --- In locost@yahoogroups.com, Günther Pommer <gpommer@y...> wrote:
                            > I'm using chevy chevette on my LHD car. Works fine and is cheap
                            and fully
                            > rebuildable. Also realized that my '98 Dodge Dakota has a front
                            mounted
                            > power steering rack. Should also do without the power aid.
                            >
                            > Cheers,
                            > Gunther (Chile)

                            Yahoo! Groups Links
                          • Günther Pommer
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jun 29, 2005
                              Hi Gonzalo, guess our friend Felipe as already answered your question. And
                              yes it's the brazilian chevette. Similar versions should also have been sold
                              in the the U.S.
                              Cheers,
                              Günther (Chile)

                              Hi Günther, I think you are refering to the Brazilian Chevette...

                              If so, What is the width of the Chevette rack?

                              Thanks a lot.

                              Gonzalo.

                              --- In locost@yahoogroups.com, Günther Pommer <gpommer@y...> wrote:
                              > I'm using chevy chevette on my LHD car. Works fine and is cheap
                              and fully
                              > rebuildable. Also realized that my '98 Dodge Dakota has a front
                              mounted
                              > power steering rack. Should also do without the power aid.
                              >
                              > Cheers,
                              > Gunther (Chile)

                              Service.