Re: [locost] Chevette rear suspension

  • Wayne Evans
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 13, 2004
      I used all the front end stuff from the chevette also. Wish I had seen that rear end sooner now. How wide is the Tercel rear end and does it have disks or drum brakes?
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 13, 2004
        check out the 84 corrola rearend. it is 55" between wheelmounts and is reasonably light. if you are in america or a right side driving country,it will work for you as the input shaft is offset 1-3/4" to right. just keep skinnybutted friends and slew the tunnel. drums.

        Wayne Evans <Wevans1138@...> wrote:I used all the front end stuff from the chevette also. Wish I had seen that rear end sooner now. How wide is the Tercel rear end and does it have disks or drum brakes?

[...]

        ---

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • Alan Pritchard
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 14, 2004

          >When starting out, I looked at using the Chevette differential and was soon
          >made aware that you must use u-joints in pairs.

          HI, Thanks for that, I hadn't realised that you couldn't use just one UJ,
          but I suppose it's sort of obvious, something would start to thrash around.

          I think the only way to use it would be to shorten the front section by
          cutting a piece out of the alloy part and shortening the shaft, but it may
          be more work that is worth it here where there are still a good number of
          Ford axles still around. The suspension design could then go back to stock,
          which would be preferable.

          Cheers,

          Alan

          http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger
        • bratt
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 14, 2004
            Alan:

            It might sound crazy, but.....With the Locost real axel moving up and down only about 3 1/2 inches in total, there is hardly any movement at the end of the torque tube. I think someone modeled it out to 3/32". It makes me wonder if you couldn't create a solid drive shaft by joining everything together without using u-joints. Maybe it is possible to bolt the transmission housing to the torque tube housing, with some supporting pieces, and create a sort of solid drive shaft with no u-joints.

            I have not been able to find the builer in British Columbia who built his Locost using a Chevette rear end. Maybe someone else has a reference?

            Ed

            >When starting out, I looked at using the Chevette differential and was soon
            >made aware that you must use u-joints in pairs.

            HI, Thanks for that, I hadn't realised that you couldn't use just one UJ,
            but I suppose it's sort of obvious, something would start to thrash around.

            I think the only way to use it would be to shorten the front section by
            cutting a piece out of the alloy part and shortening the shaft, but it may
            be more work that is worth it here where there are still a good number of
            Ford axles still around. The suspension design could then go back to stock,
            which would be preferable.

            Cheers,

            Alan

            http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            ---

          • James Hughes
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 14, 2004
              You might be able to get away with a doughnut style rubber joint - perhaps?
              Just for a bit of ease of alignment.

              >When starting out, I looked at using the Chevette differential and was
              soon
              >made aware that you must use u-joints in pairs.

              HI, Thanks for that, I hadn't realised that you couldn't use just one UJ,
              but I suppose it's sort of obvious, something would start to thrash
              around.

              I think the only way to use it would be to shorten the front section by
              cutting a piece out of the alloy part and shortening the shaft, but it may

              be more work that is worth it here where there are still a good number of
              Ford axles still around. The suspension design could then go back to
              stock,
              which would be preferable.

              Cheers,

              Alan

              http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger <http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger>

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              ---
              <http://www.grisoft.com).>

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              click here

              <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=285832.4915498.6053011.1269404/D=groups/S=
              :HM/A=2105440/rand=808177206>

              _____

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

              The information contained in this e-mail message (and any attachment
              transmitted herewith) is privileged and confidential and is intended for the
              exclusive use of the addressee(s). If you are not an addressee, any
              disclosure, reproduction, distribution or other dissemination or use of this
              communication in error, please contact us immediately so that we can correct
              the error.

            • Rick Hargraves
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 15, 2004
                Ed,

                I would think it will place a fair load on the torque tube/gearbox joint as
                it will only be a small PCD and will be shock loaded.

                This is assuming the whole deal rotates around the two engine mounts and no
                rear gearbox mount.

                Cheers,
                Tricky H.
                GAZ Shocks Australia
                rhargrav@...
                http://www.whitepointer.com.au
                http://www.dampertech.co.uk
                > It might sound crazy, but.....With the Locost real axel moving up and down
                only about 3 1/2 inches in total, there is hardly any movement at the end of
                the torque tube. I think someone modeled it out to 3/32". It makes me
                wonder if you couldn't create a solid drive shaft by joining everything
                together without using u-joints. Maybe it is possible to bolt the
                transmission housing to the torque tube housing, with some supporting
                pieces, and create a sort of solid drive shaft with no u-joints.

                > I have not been able to find the builer in British Columbia who built his
                Locost using a Chevette rear end. Maybe someone else has a reference?

                > Ed

                Service.

                > ---

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                ---
              • bratt
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 18, 2004
                  Wayne:

                  I do not have a Tercel Differential to measure. The two Tercels, 1984 and 1985, that I had were drum brake.

                  Ed

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 18, 2004
                    Wayne:

                    From what I can find about ratios, the Tercel rear differential comes in three ratios. 3.73, 3.91 and 4.10.

                    Ed

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 19, 2004
                      Thanks, ED
                      I'm not really looking for one now as I have already have a Supra rear in the car but am still not sure how well the whole set up will work in practice. (looks good on paper, right?) It would have been nice if I had looked for a matching bolt pattern rear at the time though. I was looking for rear disks then though. We'll just have to wait and see how it all comes together when I'm through.