Re: [locost] Dr Hess and all

  • Rick Hargraves
    Message 1 of 44 , Dec 1, 2003
      The 4AGE and T50 fit the standard chassis.
      I have even run the G tubes into the opening of the tunnel and it just
      clears the slave cylinder.

      I just had my engine and gearbox in and out of the chassis a couple of times
      this afternoon - the chassis slides on like a sock.

      Cheers,
      Tricky H.
      Aussie GAZshocks
      rhargrav@...
      http://www.whitepointer.com.au
      http://www.dampertech.co.uk
      Message 44 of 44 , Dec 3, 2003
        porschercr@... wrote:

        > It was my understanding that the chassis he "copied" was like the
        > pre-litigation Westfield chassis, which they had to cease making after
        > their legal
        > wrangling with Caterham. Would have been pretty amusing for them to have
        > sued Ron over a chassis they had been forced to quit making.

        Ron Champion himself writes:

        "whilst I was influenced by Westfield no tubes on the Locost are the same
        length or angle. The same applies to wishbones, trailing links, etc.
        When the book first came out, Westfield attempted to take me to Court, but in
        the light of overwhelming evidence provided by me to my barrister,
        withdrew the day before we were due in Court.

        Incidentally a lot of elements of the Locost, particularly the front of the
        chassis, were designed by me in 1963 and were built into a Clubman's Race
        Car, which we were prepared to produce as evidence, if we had gone to
        Court (and won) we would then have been able to say that Westfield copied
        Ron Champion.

        The rear tubes on the Locost are influenced by Lotus.

        But what the hell we all copied Colin Chapman."