2 solo diagonals??

  • jimjpe61
    Message 1 of 6 , May 1 12:40 AM
      Just been reading through the old DIY book and there are
      2 "unmirrored" diagonals in the chassis - 1 goes from the front right
      corner back towards the centre(ish) of the rear of the engine bay,
      and the other in one the lower part of the rear assembly - just by
      the left Panhard mount.

      What are these for? Couldn't see anything obvious from my flick
      through the book...

      Jim.
    • Chris Leonard
      Message 2 of 6 , May 1 1:23 AM
        Hi Jim,

        The front one is to put some strength in the engine bay - this is often
        suplimented by a shorter one on the other side - shorter to miss the exhaust

        The one on the back puts strength where the panhard rod mounts - I also put
        a smaller one on the other side at the rear

        regards Chris

        http://www.star.net.uk

        http://www.star.net.uk
      • PGolisch@t-online.de
        Message 3 of 6 , May 1 1:24 AM
          > Just been reading through the old DIY book and there are
          > 2 "unmirrored" diagonals in the chassis - 1 goes from the front right
          > corner back towards the centre(ish) of the rear of the engine bay,
          > and the other in one the lower part of the rear assembly - just by
          > the left Panhard mount.
          >
          > What are these for?
          The rear one is to suport the panhard mount ,so if you dont use a watt link
          there is no need for miroring.
          the front one is unmirrored to be able to get the engine in and out
          (whithout the help of an anglegrinder), but you could make a bolt on mirror
          .

          hope this does make any sense

          Paul
        • jimjpe61
          Message 4 of 6 , May 1 5:50 AM
            Ok - thanks for that. Now, as I suspected, I have to ask what'll
            probably prove to be a very dumb question - what's a Panhard rod for?

            Jim.

            --- In locost@yahoogroups.com, PGolisch@t... wrote:

            > > Just been reading through the old DIY book and there are
            > > 2 "unmirrored" diagonals in the chassis - 1 goes from the front
            right
            > > corner back towards the centre(ish) of the rear of the engine bay,
            > > and the other in one the lower part of the rear assembly - just by
            > > the left Panhard mount.
            > >
            > > What are these for?
            > The rear one is to suport the panhard mount ,so if you dont use a
            watt link
            > there is no need for miroring.
            > the front one is unmirrored to be able to get the engine in and out
            > (whithout the help of an anglegrinder), but you could make a bolt
            on mirror
            > .
            >
            > hope this does make any sense
            >
            > Paul
          • Chris Leonard
            Message 5 of 6 , May 1 6:04 AM
              Its to stop the rear axle from moving from left to right, whilst still
              letting it go up and down

              Chris

              Ok - thanks for that. Now, as I suspected, I have to ask what'll
              probably prove to be a very dumb question - what's a Panhard rod for?

              Jim.

              --- In locost@yahoogroups.com, PGolisch@t... wrote:

              > > Just been reading through the old DIY book and there are
              > > 2 "unmirrored" diagonals in the chassis - 1 goes from the front
              right
              > > corner back towards the centre(ish) of the rear of the engine bay,
              > > and the other in one the lower part of the rear assembly - just by
              > > the left Panhard mount.
              > >
              > > What are these for?
              > The rear one is to suport the panhard mount ,so if you dont use a
              watt link
              > there is no need for miroring.
              > the front one is unmirrored to be able to get the engine in and out
              > (whithout the help of an anglegrinder), but you could make a bolt
              on mirror
              > .
              >
              > hope this does make any sense
              >
              > Paul

              http://www.star.net.uk

              http://www.star.net.uk
            • Alan
              Message 6 of 6 , May 1 6:06 AM
                It locates the axle laterally.
                One end on your frame, one end on the axle...bingo it can't move side to
                side.

                Alan B