Re: Turbos

  • bare2510 <barenekid@hotmail.com>
    Message 1 of 32 , Mar 1, 2003
      --- In locost@yahoogroups.com, "jmservices" <jmservices@u...> wrote:
      > Non taken,
      >
      > Go to www.jamesmiles.net and take a look. The car was built in 1998.
      >
      > Have fun!

      Interesting piece of work..nicely assembled.
      thanx for the piccies/info.
      Couple of questions:
      what form of seven is that? Locost ? or ?
      Power seems somewhat hi for 15 PSI... in my experiences that should
      be around 230.. 250 hp range inna 2 litre (either Saab or
      Mistsubishi)..usually takes 20/25 psi to break 350.
      Displacement is the Same, efficiencies are similar.. Rpms are the
      only possibly significant variable that comes to mind.
      Can NoX generate an extra 150+ hp on an engine under boost?
      Dunno have never considered it.
      There is also the dreaded error factor:-)
      Just yesterday Saw some kid with a Turbo'ed Honda Civic 1.6(otherwise
      OEM engine)his dyno chart claimed 225 hp at 12 psi .. simply not
      possible with his setup under any circumstance (engine would
      grenade).. presumably the "dyno" at whatever shop he used was
      laughably out of calibration.

      How are you controlling Tirespin?
      even my much lower powered Saab dramatically spins it tires with the
      onset of Boost.. every single time.. when the roads have any moisture
      at all.. which is sadly more days than not.

      Driving... I can only imagine the Boost "rush" in your car ...Prolly
      worth the price of admission alone..
      but in a Turbo'ed Bike (a memorable "adventure" ride of perhaps
      similar nature.. lotsa power v low Mass) the power is thrilling,
      frightening and barely tameable as one goes from modest "off boost"
      power to the "oh my Gawd" headlong rush where other vehicles become
      obstacles in your path...then as you back off, the boost imediately
      dissapears and yer back to the lower power while the boost rebuilds
      for the next rush. V fast when under pressure but wierdly so as it is
      neither seamless/continuous or instantly available..
      not in my opinion suited for any street use where there are Buses and
      Trucks about:-) Great for open Track Days I suspect.

      regards bare
    • James Miles
      Message 32 of 32 , Mar 2, 2003
        Bare,

        The 15psi shown is wrong, it is around 29/30 psi to make 415 on dyno. I
        would like to think and gurantee the dyno settings are correct as the
        dyno shop are a customer of mine and build and test some very expensive
        and important engines for some uk championships. The engine is built by
        an engine builder that understands YB's and all there potential. All
        figures shown are without NOS and NOS really is a little to much for the
        car.

        It is very rare as a driver you feel the force of aceleration in a fast
        car but if you really push it it will push you back in the seat. The
        rear axle is from a 2002 Mustang it is a live axle with power lock.

        Regards

[...]

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/