RE: Mustang Donor

  • Jeff Walker
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 31, 1999
      Thanks for the tip Bart I will keep my eyes peeled for one.

      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 1, 1999
        I believe you can use the uprights from a pre-78 Mustang, as they have
        double wishbone suspension.
        Bart
        > The only parts that I know I will need to get is a bracket made by
        > Factory Five Racing that allows the use of upper and lower control arms
        > on the front suspension. A friend of mine has a FFR Cobra and he said I
        > could take the part off of his to a fabricator to see what it would cost
        > to have the piece made.

      • Brian Gilje
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 17, 2000
          I found an interesting web sit that may be helpful to anyone who is thinking of using a 1979 or better Mustang. Factory Five Racing manufacturers a Cobra replica using a Mustang donor. They sell an adaptor to modify the macpherson struts for use in a double A frame arrangement. Anyone thinking of using macpherson struts should have a look. They also have pictures of an independent rear end using Thunderbird rear suspension. Their normal arrangement is the Mustang four link setup which I think could be adapted to the Locost. it would save welding anything on to the rear axle. The web site is http://www.factoryfive.com

          Thanks
          Brian Gilje

          Send FREE April Fool's Greetings to your friends!
          http://www.whowhere.lycos.com/redirects/American_Greetings.rdct
        • John Holmes
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 17, 2000
            Brian,

            It would be nice to use the four link setup, but I've never figured
            out how to adapt the Locost chassis to accept it without some major
            changes. If you get this worked out, please share it.

            John

            --
            John Holmes (858)485-2540
            NCR Corp.
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 18, 2000
              John,

              The idea I had was to measure the width between the lower arms of the axle and increase the width of the frame to accommodate this dimension. The shock mounting plate may have to be reposition to be in the same position as the location on the axle. I then plan on installing brackets on O3 for the upper arms. If you take a look at the original Lotus 7 it had what I consider to be a four link setup but only used one mounting point on the axle for the diagonal links. I think I have described the same setup but the upper link is the diagonal link and the lower link is the parallel link. I am going to try to keep the link lengths the same as they were on the original car. My plan is to do some drawings to see if it will work but I need to collect some dimensions from the donor Mustang first. I will let you know how it works out.

              Brian