Re: Website up and run...limping (slightly o/t)

  • Simon Rook
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 1, 2001
      Thats because Netscape 4 doesn't support a lot of html scripting,
      need to update to 6 (free at netscape website) a lot of commercial
      sites have to 'double up' with a site unique for 4 as its somewhat
      archaic in its capabilities (and why IE cornered the market
      microsofts activities notwithsatnding)
      Simon
      --- In locost@y..., John Holmes <johnh@s...> wrote:
      > Simon,
      >
      > I just tried it and all I get is the first page (with a nice
      header)
      > but no links to anything. The titles are there, but there are no
      links
      > attached to them. I'm using netscape 4.08.
      >
      > John
      >
      > > From: "Simon Rook" <ea82t@y...>
      > > Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 10:58:18 -0000
      > > Subject: [locost] Website up and run...limping (slightly o/t)
      > >
      > > Well Locost may be progressing slowly but I have a website up
      > > and...well limping, a few glitches, everything isn't perfect, but
      it
      > > should be getting there in the next few days! Sorry no pics of
      the
      > > project ...YET!
      > >
      > > have a look at
      > >
      > > http://www.locost-esque.i12.com feedback awaited with
      trepidation!
      > > thanks to Rob for permission to use a pic' of his car as the
      header!

      > > Would add it to the builders database, but it keeps telling me I
      > > don't have permission!
      > >
      > > Simon
      > >

      > --
      > John Holmes (858)485-2540
      > NCR Corp.
      > johnh@s... or john.holmes@s...
    • Simon Rook
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 1, 2001
        Another good guess...have to put them on the website!

        Simon
        --- In locost@y..., "Alan" <abdesdes@e...> wrote:
        > In fact they both sound like early and later versions.
        > If so, it's one of my favourites too! (if not it is still a
        favourite of
        > mine!)
        >
        > Alan B
        >

        > > The first, at least, sounds a lot like a Ford RS200 rally car.
        > >
        > > Alan B
        > >

        > > > the 2 undisclosed vehicles are very very similar...I won't say
        yay or
        > > > nay to Solo yet, I want this to tease people a bit!
        > > >
        > > > Simon
        > >

        > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Service.

      • Simon Rook
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 1, 2001
          Those running Netscape 4, it doesn't support Dynamic html (although
          the protocol was available before they launched it...) but you can
          get a free update to netscape 6 which does via the netscape
          website... also much better in other respects as well......I have NS
          as well as ie at home..misses uses ns I use ie!

          Simon
          --- In locost@y..., "Dominic Peterson" <gecko@o...> wrote:
          > John (and Simon),
          >
          > As far as I can see it doesn't work with Netscape (I'm using 4.7
          here
          > at work and at home). I have a copy of IE on my work machine and
          it
          > works. There's not much actually on the site yet but once it gets
          > going it'll be a shame for a portion of the community to be unable
          > see it :(
          >
          > Dominic
          >
          > --- In locost@y..., John Holmes <johnh@s...> wrote:
          > > I just tried it and all I get is the first page (with a nice
          > > header) but no links to anything. The titles are there, but
          > > there are no links attached to them. I'm using netscape 4.08.
          > >
          > > > From: "Simon Rook" <ea82t@y...>
          > > > have a look at
          > > >
          > > > http://www.locost-esque.i12.com
        • Alan
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 1, 2001
            Simon,

            I'm running IE 5.5 on Win2K, but still can't see your Sierra picture?
            Is it me, or is there a problem?

            Alan B
          • Simon Rook
            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 1, 2001
              Alan thats my problem, will be fixed, was meant to be done last night
              but the ftp program was playing up, ended up having to re-install it,
              the other problem is Netscape nav'4 not supporting dynamic html
              script, so all it will ever let you see is the front page!
              Simon

              --- In locost@y..., "Alan" <abdesdes@e...> wrote:
              > Simon,
              >
              > I'm running IE 5.5 on Win2K, but still can't see your Sierra
              picture?
              > Is it me, or is there a problem?
              >
              > Alan B
            • Liam
              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 1, 2001
                Simon,

                Very nice site - keep it up!

                Personally, I don't even have enough time to build the car, let alone
                run a website like that about it.

                Nice bit of inspiration, too ;). I'm sure I've got it, but I wont ruin your
                surprise;). Funny car, that was - engine in the back, 4x4 transaxle
                in the front, two propshafts. Still, would have been unbeatable if its
                category wasn't banned - that's life I suppose. None of the replica
                kits I've seen are 4WD (absolute sacrilege), so I like the way you're
                going about it.

                So how far are you, anyway. How much is the body gonna cost
                you? If I give you my spare gearbox - can I have a ride in it when
                it's done?

                Hmm, I'm all envious now - it's going to be beautiful. My favourite
                car of all time, ya know - closely followed by the 959. Are you
                thinking works colours or road car? If it's not going to be mid-
                engined, are you going to have some seats in the back - or a very
                big boot?

                My Seven suddenly seems slightly less desirable...doh! Ah hell,
                my beast'll be lighter and you're stuck with a roof =) He heh.

                See ya,

                Liam

                P.S. I made some progress myself on the Sierra - started to
                become fun cos I suddenly realised I can trash the thing. Out
                came the hacksaws, angle grinder and lump hammer. Working on
                a car has never been so satisfying. Bit of a bummer though, the
                clocks, cos now I can only move on that at weekends since the
                garage where it's at has no lighting. Still I'll have it stripped very
                soon and you can have the box - after I've weighed it just so I know.

                On 31 Oct 2001, at 10:58, Simon Rook wrote:

                > Well Locost may be progressing slowly but I have a website up
                > and...well limping, a few glitches, everything isn't perfect, but it
                > should be getting there in the next few days! Sorry no pics of the
                > project ...YET!
                >
                > have a look at
                >
                > http://www.locost-esque.i12.com feedback awaited with trepidation!
                > thanks to Rob for permission to use a pic' of his car as the header!
                >
                > Would add it to the builders database, but it keeps telling me I don't
                > have permission!
                >
                > Simon

              • Simon Rook
                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 2, 2001
                  Oh well, looks like my cover could be blown....shell will cost >1/2
                  the whole budget, but what the heck!
                  Let me know when you may be attacking donor again via 01926 772412
                  and I'll try and help out....
                  Chassis is starting to be cut up for 'resizing'....

                  Simon
                • jbmcsorley1@yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 2, 2001
                    Hi Simon,

                    A bit O/T... but you might want to know that the "home" button at the
                    bottom of your detail pages (diary is where I found the problem)
                    isn't targeting a specific frame (in HTML lingo) so you end up with
                    a "hall of mirrors" effect (or so we like to call it in the biz).

                    Your navigation structure, color choice and 'visual mood' are
                    great... nice design. I would consider reducing the height of the
                    upper most 'navigation' frame however... it sure takes up a lot of
                    real estate on the screen just to host the navigation menues.

                    I shouldn't be one to offer much opinion however... I haven't even
                    put together a locost site (yet) and web development is what I do for
                    a living.... The cobbler's children run barefoot!

                    cheers,
                    Jim McSorley
                    orlando,fl

                    Message 9 of 20 , Nov 2, 2001
                      Jim,

                      I'm going to regret asking this, but what's the pro. opinion of my site?

                      Alan B

                      http://www.desicodesign.com/meerkat/

                      > Hi Simon,
                      >
                      > A bit O/T... but you might want to know that the "home" button at the
                      > bottom of your detail pages (diary is where I found the problem)
                      > isn't targeting a specific frame (in HTML lingo) so you end up with
                      > a "hall of mirrors" effect (or so we like to call it in the biz).
                      >
                      > Your navigation structure, color choice and 'visual mood' are
                      > great... nice design. I would consider reducing the height of the
                      > upper most 'navigation' frame however... it sure takes up a lot of
                      > real estate on the screen just to host the navigation menues.
                      >
                      > I shouldn't be one to offer much opinion however... I haven't even
                      > put together a locost site (yet) and web development is what I do for
                      > a living.... The cobbler's children run barefoot!
                      >
                      > cheers,
                      > Jim McSorley
                      > orlando,fl
                    • Graeme
                      Message 10 of 20 , Nov 29, 2001
                        Simon,
                        Is there a prize for the first person to guess the inspiration for your car?

                        Graeme

                        > Well Locost may be progressing slowly but I have a website up
                        > and...well limping, a few glitches, everything isn't perfect, but it
                        > should be getting there in the next few days! Sorry no pics of the
                        > project ...YET!
                        >
                        > have a look at
                        >
                        > http://www.locost-esque.i12.com feedback awaited with trepidation!
                        > thanks to Rob for permission to use a pic' of his car as the header!
                        >
                        > Would add it to the builders database, but it keeps telling me I
                        > don't have permission!
                        >
                        > Simon

                      • Chris G
                        Message 11 of 20 , Nov 30, 2001
                          Grahame/Simon

                          What do we win for guessing correctly?? ;)
                          This supercar inspiration, it's gotta be a Group B rally car surely
                          (1980's mid mounted engine, "Version1"=250bhp, "Version2"=550Bhp,
                          4wd, 0-60 in 6.1sec / 3sec).
                          By deduction (my dear Watson) from the snippets of info on the
                          website, I'd say its got to be a Ford RS200.
                          Simon, if it is then I guess you're planning on the Paul Banham kit
                          bodyshell? I can see exactly why you didn't like their idea of a
                          chassis, i.e. chopping down a Maestro, strapping it back together
                          with scaffold poles to form a "chassis" then plopping on the gorgeous
                          bodyshell...whats the point in having RS200 looks and road presence
                          but with Maestro performance and handling! ;). Good luck with the
                          build and nice website.

                          Chris

                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/