Re: [locost] axle wieghts/spring rates

  • rhargrav
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 30, 2001
      Hi Darryl,

      Sounds like the plot - I'll have a copy of the spreadsheet to

      rhargrav@...

      thanks

      Cheers,

      Tricky H.
      AUS

      ----------
> [...]
      bolts
      > as feet to take up any flooring variances.
      > 4 exact pieces of timber to spread the weight over each pair of scales
      (dont
      > cover the readout).
      >
      > and my excellent excel table given to me by a member of the sevens list.
      > This will give you total weight, front to rear weights and of course
      corner
      > weights and what to do with your adjustable spring seats, presuming you
      have
      > them. (anyone want a copy)
      >
      > I'm very impressed with this method over the one wheel at a time method
      as
      > it takes a fair bit of the variances out of the equation as your doing
      all
      > four corners at once.
      >
      > BTW was talking to a fellow competitor at a sprint on Saturday who is
      > running Spax shocks while his AVO's are getting rebuilt, he says their
      > terrible compared to the AVO's which really aren't too flash either.
      >
      > Nothing like actual testing to sort out whats superior.
      >
      > Darryl
      >

      > > Hi Alex,
      > >
      > > Had a thought for a corner weight checker.
      > >
      > > Copy the Demon Tweeks lever setup and use a Harbour Freight 2"
      hydraulic
      > > button jack with a gauge attached for the scale load cell and convert
      the
      > > PSI to weight
      > >
      > > Cheers,
      > >
      > > Tricky H.
      > > AUS
      > >
      > > ----------
      > >> From: Alex Devonport <fourays2@...>
      > >> To: locost@yahoogroups.com
      > >> Subject: RE: [locost] axle wieghts/spring rates
      > >> Date: Monday, 1 October 2001 2:14
      > >>

      > >> I think that rear axle weight might be a little high, assuming a 100kg
      > >> driver that means the rear axle weight is 342 and since distribution
      is ~
      > > 50/50
      > >> the total weight of the car is ~700kg which is about 200 kg more than
      it
      > > should
      > >> be. what you need to do is to find out the sprung and unsprung
      weights,
      > > so take
      > >> off the shocks and put a rigid bar in between the top mount and some
      sort
      > > of
      > >> weighing device. you can use bathroom scales and a suitable lever and
      > > pivot to
      > >> get the range right for the scales to use. that way you will have the
      > > corner
      > >> weights of the vehicle and will be better able to size your springs.
      > >> alternatively if this was the sevens list I would suggest you either
      pay
      > > someone
      > >> to do or go spend 1000quid at demon tweeks for their digital scales.
      if
      > > you want
      > >> more specifics on how to do this just holler.
      > >>

      > >> later, Alex

    • Andy MacFadyen
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 30, 2001
        Nice one it would work

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • dking@qbe.com.au
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 1, 2001
          Hi Darryl,

          Like Tricky I too would like a copy of the spreadsheet.
          dking@...

          If we don't speak before I'll see you on the morning of the 14th at Loftus Oval.

          Regards
          Dave King
          Oz
        • Rick Hargraves
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 1, 2001
            Thanks Dave - might be a good club investment for us up here in the Westy
            Club.

            Cheers,
            Tricky H.
            AussieGAZshocks
            rhargrav@...

            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 1, 2001

            • hess@flash.net
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 1, 2001
                Hey Darryl,
                Your corner weight spreadsheet sounds like a good candidate for
                the files area. Or send me a copy as well. Thanks.

                Hess
              • bratt
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 1, 2001
                  Darryl:

                  Back when we were racing those who could afford a pyrometer were taking
                  tire temperatures. Today, the price of surface temperature pyrometers has
                  fallen dramatically. You can buy one for$100 or less.

                  The difficult part is sorting things out when there are three or four
                  causes for tire heat differential, say for example, air pressure, camber,
                  toe and roll (related to spring rate). So, you have to eliminate the
                  secondary causes before you can correctly address the problem you are after.

                  Ed Bratt
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 1, 2001
                    Hi Darryl ,could I have a copy of your spreadsheet .garyburns@...
                    Cheers Gary Burns :-)

> [...]
                    > > should
                    > >> be. what you need to do is to find out the sprung and unsprung weights,
                    > > so take
                    > >> off the shocks and put a rigid bar in between the top mount and some
                    sort
                    > > of
                    > >> weighing device. you can use bathroom scales and a suitable lever and
                    > > pivot to
                    > >> get the range right for the scales to use. that way you will have the
                    > > corner
                    > >> weights of the vehicle and will be better able to size your springs.
                    > >> alternatively if this was the sevens list I would suggest you either
                    pay
                    > > someone
                    > >> to do or go spend 1000quid at demon tweeks for their digital scales. if
                    > > you want
                    > >> more specifics on how to do this just holler.

                  • Darryl Sheather
                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 1, 2001
                      You are correct, it just happened that in my case the cornerweighting fixed
                      my tyre problem.