Re: [locost] Any NZ builders out there

  • Marie Denton
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 30 10:17 PM
      Where are you?

      Regards
      Andrew
      Auckland NZ
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: <simonmck34@...>
      To: <locost@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Tuesday, May 01, 2001 12:13 PM
      Subject: [locost] Any NZ builders out there

      > Hi all,
      >
      > I've bought the book and unsurprisingly, I'm keen to give it a go.
      > I've long admired the Lotus 7 style replica, and I think this may
      > very well be the best way of owning one.
      >
      > Having browsed through some of the messages posted on the site, I
      > can't help thinking most members of the group have some level of
      > mechanical aptitude (unlike myself). So I'll be taking lots of time
      > to prepare to give myself the best chance of success.
      >
      > One question I have is "are there any NZ builders out there?" who may
      > have some knowledge of the legal loopholes in NZ and the costs
      > associated with building a Locost in the New Zealand context.
      >
      > Cheers
      > Simon

    • Graeme Banks
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 30 11:25 PM
        Hi Simon
        There are a number of builders in New Zealand, possibly more in the South
        Island than the North. We have one supplier of chassis and parts and other
        suppliers of fiberglass parts. The Sports Car Club of NZ
        www.binary.co.nz/sccnz.html can put you in touch with a certifier to assist
        in making your car road legal. Preferred engine in NZ and Australia is
        Toyota but a 2 Litre Cortina Mk4 (Pinto) engined car has been completed in
        Dunedin and a Fiat twin Cam one is being built in Auckland. Email me at
        graban@... for more details.
        Graeme Banks
      • Peter
        Message 3 of 6 , May 2, 2001
          Hi Simon,

          There are quite a few Kiwis lurking on this list who have completed or like
          me progressing with a build.

          I can give you a run down on the legalities experienced by me so far and
          costs. However the 250 pound x 3 =NZ$750 aint enough but most parts bought
          on a pregressive basis dont hurt too much.

          Where in NZ are you?

          Regards Peter
          CHRISTCHURCH NZ
          peter-sutton@...

          >Hi all,
          >
          >I've bought the book and unsurprisingly, I'm keen to give it a go.
          >I've long admired the Lotus 7 style replica, and I think this may
          >very well be the best way of owning one.
          >
          >Having browsed through some of the messages posted on the site, I
          >can't help thinking most members of the group have some level of
          >mechanical aptitude (unlike myself). So I'll be taking lots of time
          >to prepare to give myself the best chance of success.
          >
          >One question I have is "are there any NZ builders out there?" who may
          >have some knowledge of the legal loopholes in NZ and the costs
          >associated with building a Locost in the New Zealand context.
          >
          >Cheers
          >Simon
        • Simon McKenzie
          Message 4 of 6 , May 6, 2001
            Andrew,

            Like you, I'm in Auckland. How far along the track are you?

            Simon

            >From: "Marie Denton" <mariedenton@...>
            >To: <locost@yahoogroups.com>
            >Subject: Re: [locost] Any NZ builders out there
            >Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 17:17:53 +1200
            >
            >Where are you?
            >
            >Regards
            >Andrew
            >Auckland NZ

          • Marie Denton
            Message 5 of 6 , May 7, 2001
              Hi Simon

              Actually I finished 2 Lotus 7 clones before L knew about Ron Champion's
              book!!!!! They were finished about 10 years ago for my two sons. Both
              using Ford Xflows. I am currently rebuilding a New Zealand built Historic
              1972 Formula Ford.

              Tomorrow night Sports Car club AGM at the Vintage Car Club rooms Fairfax Ave
              at 7.30. Are you coming along? We need some new blood as the maturer
              members are getting involved in such things as Austin 7's aren't they
              Graeme?