Re: Diff height

  • Martin Lucas & Megan Davis
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1 12:27 AM
      rhargrav" <rhargrav@...> wrote:
      Subject: Re: Diff height

      Hi Martin,

      The diff is mounted 2" from the chassis underside to the diff mounting
      underside.
      I cannot tell you what the dimension to the centre is I am away from home
      Monday to Friday for the next few months.

      The drive shaftsd will from memory go slightly up and forward from the
      diff.

      I will measure it up next weekend if you send me another mail.

      Hi Rick,

      I took the plunge and guessed ;-) I went for a Sierra diff in the end. The
      ratio is not as good as your Datsun, but I like the fact that it has alloy
      casings (most adventurous for Ford). The botttom of the diff is about 10mm
      up from the underside of the bottom tubes. With some luck the drive shafts
      will be inline with the hubs when viewed from above and going upwards like
      yours. The low mounting should help CoG.

      The diff ratio shouldn't be a problem as the gearbox I plan to use is a four
      speed and tends to have a low first gear. Well that's the theory anyway ;-)

      Martin
    • rhargrav
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1 12:09 PM
        Hi Martin,

        We unfortunately do not get the Sierras over here for bits - the Westfield
        would be an easy setup to copy for the mounting - do you have a pic??

        Cheers,

        Tricky H.
        AUS

        ----------
        > From: Martin Lucas & Megan Davis <marty7@...>
        > To: locost@yahoogroups.com
        > Cc: Rick & Lesley Hargraves <rhargrav@...>
        > Subject: [locost] Re: Diff height
        > Date: Thursday, 1 February 2001 18:27
        >
        > rhargrav" <rhargrav@...> wrote:
        > Subject: Re: Diff height
        >
        > Hi Martin,
        >
        > The diff is mounted 2" from the chassis underside to the diff mounting
        > underside.
        > I cannot tell you what the dimension to the centre is I am away from home
        > Monday to Friday for the next few months.
        >
        > The drive shaftsd will from memory go slightly up and forward from the
        > diff.
        >
        > I will measure it up next weekend if you send me another mail.
        >
        > Hi Rick,
        >
        > I took the plunge and guessed ;-) I went for a Sierra diff in the end.
        The
        > ratio is not as good as your Datsun, but I like the fact that it has
        alloy
        > casings (most adventurous for Ford). The botttom of the diff is about
        10mm
        > up from the underside of the bottom tubes. With some luck the drive
        shafts
        > will be inline with the hubs when viewed from above and going upwards
        like
        > yours. The low mounting should help CoG.
        >
        > The diff ratio shouldn't be a problem as the gearbox I plan to use is a
        four
        > speed and tends to have a low first gear. Well that's the theory anyway
        ;-)

        > Martin

      • Martin Lucas & Megan Davis
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 2 12:50 AM
          rhargrav" <rhargrav@...> wrote:
          Hi Martin,

          We unfortunately do not get the Sierras over here for bits - the Westfield
          would be an easy setup to copy for the mounting - do you have a pic??

          Cheers,
          Tricky H.
          AUS
          -------------------------------------
          Hi Tricky,

          No pictures yet. I'll take some next week. I haven't seen an IRS Westfield
          so don't know how they do it. I turned up some sleeves, made a steel
          'jigging' bush. Bolted them to the Sierra mounts then triangulated them with
          tubes. Does look rather niffty if I say so myself. I know roughly where the
          rear suspension mounts will go but need to look at a couple of other types
          of car to verify my ideas.

          Unfortunately you guys seem to miss out on a number of good cars. I can
          still remember The Sierras at Bathurst leaving everyting else for dead -
          back in the good old days when it was a race - not the two horse contest tat
          it is now.

          Martin