Re: [locost] SVA- Major change

  • Rob Lane
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2000
      Subject: [locost] SVA

      > Earlier on today, I spoke to the guy from the SVA centre in Birmingham.
      From the 1/4/2001, they will be treating any engine put in "kit cars" that
      have no provenance as a "new" engine and all relevant specifications will
      apply!!

      This has major implications for anyone building a car without a full donor.
      Even with a donor, it could be difficult.
      Treating an engine as new will mean passing the emissions standard relevant
      to a modern engine. This is very near impossible with Crossflows and earlier
      Pintos. It will also mean the fitment of a 'cat' to the exhaust system with
      the expense that involves.
      The trouble is, the interpretation the examiners put on 'provenance'.
      From my experience with the VRO Inspector after the test it's going to be
      very difficult to prove provenance anyway, even with a donor logbook with
      engine number applicable, I was told by the VRO that my donor car had an
      engine change in earlier life. So where is the provenance then? If the
      examiners have access to the DVLA records then you may be able to show
      provenance, if not what criteria will apply? Logbook? Engine number?
      As far as I'm aware Ford and others cannot put an engine number to a year as
      there were so many engines made, some for aftermarket. They can put an
      engine to a car, but will they supply proof?

      Could be very difficult from April on.
      Is this another way to slow down and restrict the number of kitcars built?
      We are heading for the point where red tape will strangle the possibility of
      home built cars, even at top notch standards.

      Rob Lane
      rlane@...
      www.robs7.com
    • Peter Ogden
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2000
        Hi Rob,

        > Could be very difficult from April on.
        > Is this another way to slow down and restrict the number of
        > kitcars built?
        > We are heading for the point where red tape will strangle the
        > possibility of home built cars, even at top notch standards.

        It sounds like they are going to do to you what they already do here. It
        isn't impossible to home build a car here, just very difficult!

        - Peter Ogden (soon to be Locost builder)
        Perth, West Australia

        E-mail: mailto:p.ogden@...
        WWW: http://www.esbconsult.com.au/ogden/
        or: http://surf.to/locost/
      • pat.puxley@taywood.co.uk
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 1, 2000
          --- In locost@egroups.com, "Rob Lane" <rlane@d...> wrote:
          > I know that some years ago when I wished to investigate the history
          of a motorcycle I had bought, I requested and rec'd copies of all
          previous log book front pages from dvla.
          Surely if you can present a copy of the log book at original
          registration and that shows the same engine number that you have in
          the car being presented for SVA, then that must be satisfactory
          provenance

          PAT