Re: OT: WSP, anyone???

  • gumbydad2002
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 27, 2012
      Drew, Here is a report from my Thursday and Friday nights at WSP.

      I had an opportunity to spend the majority of my time with two very nice scopes that sported Lockwood Optics. One was a 32" f/3.6 Lockwood/Webster and the other was a 25" f/4 Lockwood/JP Astrocraft. The first night for me which was Thursday, the JP Astrocraft scope was showing some of the best detail I have seen in years on Saturn. The Enke Division was relatively easy in the Key's skies and there was incredible detail in the C and crepe rings.

      Friday night, I got my LIFETIME best view of Mars through Joe's 32" f/3.6 Lockwood/Webster at about 650-850x. The cloud detail in several parts of the planets surface were like they were etched into the view. The albedo markings as well as the Southern Polar cap were extraordinary. Joe's implementation of a 80CFM fan blowing directly over the center of the mirror and suspended by safety wire and hidden in the central obstruction likely contributed to the incredible views. Joe and John Pratte were wonderful for sharing their superb scopes with everyone. We even put in my I3 image intensifier into both large Newts and saw wonderful images of the Flame, Horsehead and Orion Nebulas.

      Bob Schilling