Re: Quick update

  • Mark Cowan
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 9, 2009
      Hey Mike,

      Would you mind repeating somewhat the same stuff here as over on CN about your cellular blank experiences to date, this time with all the juicy details?

      Also (I graunched my upper back running today and I'm thinking I'm going to be experiencing severe boredom pretty soon :( ) what's your application with the 14.5" f/2.6 (that's a darn short tube at 38")?

      Also (yes there's more!) would you be interested in working with and/or weighing in on the prospects for lightweighted fused silica at 20" and above? Greg at Superior Optical has been collaborating with me for some time in developing a practical fusing approach to build up his tons of 11-7/8" stock into as large as the market could use. I'm expecting to get the first 10" sample piece (was sawed in half, then ground flat to 320, then will be fused with a procedure involving silicate deposition at a pH of about 12) sometime within a week to prove out the technology with a finished mirror. I started thinking about building a CNC machine to do lightweighting of 20x1.5" blanks after schlepping around a 20.25x1.7" f/4 quite a bit ;) , the CNC generator I was planning could be extended to this purpose. Greg suggests he have the fab plant from where the fused silica originates as surplus use their current excess shop capacity to turn out one the quick way, in time to show at the Oregon Star Party. I'm into that!

      Best,
      Mark