housing question

  • Michelle Sachs
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1, 2009

      Hi All,

      I live in unincorporated Redwood City which means we fall under San Mateo county. My neighbor is erecting an enormous structure. It looks like it is a deck. I have not walked over there to ask as this behemoth went up this morning and I’m a bit shocked. There are three large, wood poles that about two and half times the height of our shared fence and it is smack dab next to out fence. I’m wondering if it is legal to even put a structure so high next to our shared fence. I have no idea how to find out this information and was wondering if anyone know whom to contact at the county. Thanks again.

      Michelle

    • zol
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1, 2009

        Hi Michelle,

        Here is the link for SM County Building Dept. I’d call them right away.

        http://tinyurl.com/n9zxfd

        Zoltan Gode

        cid:image001.jpg@01C7A2AE.90E367A0

        Colors by Zoltan Painting

        Office: 650 556-9800

        Cell: 415 350-4732

        email: zol@...

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 1, 2009
          I'd start here http://www.co.sanmateo.ca.us/smc/department/esa/home/0,,5557771_9420277_10768037,00.html and here http://www.co.sanmateo.ca.us/vgn/images/portal/cit_609/9441588Zoning%20Development%20Standards.pdf

          These are an SMC web page on zoning, and a table of required "setbacks" (distance from the property line that you can't build in.) I'm not sure if a deck falls under setback requirements, but I'd bet that some digging around that website would find you some info, or at least someone at the county to call and talk to.

          Not to be snide, and not that you indicated that you would do otherwise, but before you do much more than information gathering, I would recommend talking to your neighbor.

          Good luck!

          --- In local2me@yahoogroups.com, "Michelle Sachs" <michelle.sachs@...> wrote:

          > Hi All,
          >
          > I live in unincorporated Redwood City which means we fall under San Mateo
          > county. My neighbor is erecting an enormous structure. It looks like it is a
          > deck. I have not walked over there to ask as this behemoth went up this
          > morning and I'm a bit shocked. There are three large, wood poles that about
          > two and half times the height of our shared fence and it is smack dab next
          > to out fence. I'm wondering if it is legal to even put a structure so high
          > next to our shared fence. I have no idea how to find out this information
          > and was wondering if anyone know whom to contact at the county. Thanks
          > again.
          >

          > Michelle

        • neilweiser
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 1, 2009
            Something that large should have gone through
            the design review committee. The building
            department, as Zol already mentioned, can tell
            you if your neighbors applied for a building
            permit and a design review. If they didn't,
            the county might be able to shut down construction,
            if you act quickly. (And if there's any budget
            left for enforcement.)

            --- In local2me@yahoogroups.com, "Michelle Sachs" <michelle.sachs@...> wrote:

            > Hi All,
            >
            > I live in unincorporated Redwood City which means we fall under San Mateo
            > county. My neighbor is erecting an enormous structure. It looks like it is a
            > deck. I have not walked over there to ask as this behemoth went up this
            > morning and I'm a bit shocked. There are three large, wood poles that about
            > two and half times the height of our shared fence and it is smack dab next
            > to out fence. I'm wondering if it is legal to even put a structure so high
            > next to our shared fence. I have no idea how to find out this information
            > and was wondering if anyone know whom to contact at the county. Thanks
            > again.
            >

            > Michelle

          • daniela daniela
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 1, 2009
              Perhaps talking to your neighbour would be a good place to start?
              Chances are he has studied regulations (that vary widely) before
              building the deck. You may be able to convince him to make some
              changes and accommodate your wishes regardless of what the local
              regulations say. I would compliment him on the very beautiful new deck
              and mention how you always wanted to build a similar one but were
              unsure of the regulations. Hear what he says.... if he shows you the
              regulations or tell you where to find that info (effectively getting
              him to do the research for you), if he just blows air... and in any
              case he is going to be careful that his behemot should not upset you
              enough that you decide building a similar one, that fits the rules but
              bothers him, and will try to find a solution. You can always take the
              other road after doing this. Daniela

              On 7/1/09, Michelle Sachs <michelle.sachs@...> wrote:

              > Hi All,
              >
              > I live in unincorporated Redwood City which means we fall under San Mateo
              > county. My neighbor is erecting an enormous structure. It looks like it is a
              > deck. I have not walked over there to ask as this behemoth went up this
              > morning and I’m a bit shocked. There are three large, wood poles that about
              > two and half times the height of our shared fence and it is smack dab next
              > to out fence. I’m wondering if it is legal to even put a structure so high
              > next to our shared fence. I have no idea how to find out this information
              > and was wondering if anyone know whom to contact at the county. Thanks
              > again.
              >

              > Michelle

            • PRodoni
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 1, 2009
                Hi,
                If you are that close, you should have received a notice from SM County
                Permit Dept. via mailout USPS to
                have informed you so you could have gone down and disputed it before any
                work would
                have been done.

              • michelle.sachs@comcast.net
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 1, 2009

                  Thanks everyone. I have used all your tips and advice and have contacted the San Mateo County building people who were very helpful and gave me some facts on how things can be constructed. I think at high noon today I'm going to meander over there and have a chat with him. Maybe bring a bundt cake! Just kidding.

                • PRodoni
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 1, 2009
                    heh, you can always throw bundt cake over the fence but that would make
                    enemies. P

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 1, 2009

                      Well, happy ending. I talked to the neighbors and the structure is only temporary. They apologized for not letting me know in advance.