Re: document shredding

  • Bob Stine
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 1, 2009
      --- In local2me@yahoogroups.com, Mark H <mark_lists@...> wrote:
      Shred-it in Foster City will shred your documents for $5.00 per box if you take it to their facility. Also, they're offering free shredding at an event in San Mateo. It will be Saturday June the 6th, "It's Shred time", San Mateo on B street between 6th and 9th Streets, from noon to 4:00. The event also offers an antique car show and entertainment.
      Hope this helps.
      > I have several years tax records that need shredding.
      >
      > A few years ago, Belmont had an arts festival and one of the service
      > clubs (maybe Kiwanis?) sponsored a truck where I could bring boxes of
      > paper and have it shredded. That was great...
      >
      > Before that, I tried using my home shredder. I have a pretty large
      > one, but it still takes a long time to shred one box, and the
      > resulting paper is hard to recycle. I had thought that shredding a
      > box of paper would result in less space used up, but its exactly the
      > opposite - a box of paper turns into several bags of paper scrap.
      >
      > Anyone have another solution?? Anyone used a commercial firm for this?
      >

      > thnx,

    • Mark H
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 1, 2009

        I called Shred-it. They will be happy to shred my records, but its $10 a box. Also, if I drive it in they don't actually have shredding equipment on the premises. They lock it up until the end of the day, then feed it through one of their trucks when they get back at the end of the day.

        The Shred Time event sounds like a great idea.

        Thanks,

        Mark

        At 06:14 AM Monday6/1/2009, Bob Stine wrote:

        --- In local2me@yahoogroups.com, Mark H <mark_lists@...> wrote:
        Shred-it in Foster City will shred your documents for $5.00 per box if you take it to their facility. Also, they're offering free shredding at an event in San Mateo. It will be Saturday June the 6th, "It's Shred time", San Mateo on B street between 6th and 9th Streets, from noon to 4:00. The event also offers an antique car show and entertainment.
        Hope this helps.
        > I have several years tax records that need shredding.
        >
        > A few years ago, Belmont had an arts festival and one of the service
        > clubs (maybe Kiwanis?) sponsored a truck where I could bring boxes of
        > paper and have it shredded. That was great...
        >
        > Before that, I tried using my home shredder. I have a pretty large
        > one, but it still takes a long time to shred one box, and the
        > resulting paper is hard to recycle. I had thought that shredding a
        > box of paper would result in less space used up, but its exactly the
        > opposite - a box of paper turns into several bags of paper scrap.
        >
        > Anyone have another solution?? Anyone used a commercial firm for this?
        >

        > thnx,

      • PRodoni
        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 1, 2009
          Hi, off topic but revelant.....thinking of using a plastic garbage can
          putting all papers in it and filling the
          can with water.

          :-) Pat

          Mark H wrote:

          > I called Shred-it. They will be happy to shred my records, but its $10
          > a box. Also, if I drive it in they don't actually have shredding
          > equipment on the premises. They lock it up until the end of the day,
          > then feed it through one of their trucks when they get back at the end
          > of the day.
          >
          > The Shred Time event sounds like a great idea.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Mark
          >

          > At 06:14 AM Monday6/1/2009, Bob Stine wrote:
          >

          >> --- In local2me@yahoogroups.com <mailto:local2me%40yahoogroups.com>,
          >> Mark H <mark_lists@...> wrote:
          >> Shred-it in Foster City will shred your documents for $5.00 per box
          >> if you take it to their facility. Also, they're offering free
          >> shredding at an event in San Mateo. It will be Saturday June the 6th,
          >> "It's Shred time", San Mateo on B street between 6th and 9th Streets,
          >> from noon to 4:00. The event also offers an antique car show and
          >> entertainment.
          >> Hope this helps.
          >> > I have several years tax records that need shredding.
          >> >
          >> > A few years ago, Belmont had an arts festival and one of the service
          >> > clubs (maybe Kiwanis?) sponsored a truck where I could bring boxes of
          >> > paper and have it shredded. That was great...
          >> >
          >> > Before that, I tried using my home shredder. I have a pretty large
          >> > one, but it still takes a long time to shred one box, and the
          >> > resulting paper is hard to recycle. I had thought that shredding a
          >> > box of paper would result in less space used up, but its exactly the
          >> > opposite - a box of paper turns into several bags of paper scrap.
          >> >
          >> > Anyone have another solution?? Anyone used a commercial firm for this?
          >> >

          >> > thnx,

        • chrismbarker
          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 1, 2009
            There was a discussion of shredding not long ago on local2me (pre yahoo version).
            And there was someone who found a place in San Carlos that would shred and let one watch that the papers were shredded.
            I don't recall the name of the business.
            Google search turns up " A Better Shredder" and that may be the place.

            --- In local2me@yahoogroups.com, Mark H <mark_lists@...> wrote:

            > I called Shred-it. They will be happy to shred my records, but its
            > $10 a box. Also, if I drive it in they don't actually have shredding
            > equipment on the premises. They lock it up until the end of the day,
            > then feed it through one of their trucks when they get back at the
            > end of the day.
            >
            > The Shred Time event sounds like a great idea.
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Mark
            >

            > At 06:14 AM Monday6/1/2009, Bob Stine wrote:
            >

            > >--- In <mailto:local2me%40yahoogroups.com>local2me@yahoogroups.com,
            > >Mark H <mark_lists@> wrote:
            > >Shred-it in Foster City will shred your documents for $5.00 per box
            > >if you take it to their facility. Also, they're offering free
            > >shredding at an event in San Mateo. It will be Saturday June the
            > >6th, "It's Shred time", San Mateo on B street between 6th and 9th
            > >Streets, from noon to 4:00. The event also offers an antique car
            > >show and entertainment.
            > >Hope this helps.
            > > > I have several years tax records that need shredding.
            > > >
            > > > A few years ago, Belmont had an arts festival and one of the service
            > > > clubs (maybe Kiwanis?) sponsored a truck where I could bring boxes of
            > > > paper and have it shredded. That was great...
            > > >
            > > > Before that, I tried using my home shredder. I have a pretty large
            > > > one, but it still takes a long time to shred one box, and the
            > > > resulting paper is hard to recycle. I had thought that shredding a
            > > > box of paper would result in less space used up, but its exactly the
            > > > opposite - a box of paper turns into several bags of paper scrap.
            > > >
            > > > Anyone have another solution?? Anyone used a commercial firm for this?
            > > >

            > > > thnx,

          • zol
            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 1, 2009

              We have this wonderful feature on yahoo groups, DATABASE, on the left menu bar. It will take you to the recommendation directory, where we can store all previous recommendations. The moderators update this database frequently. Better Shredder is listed there, the original recommendation was posted in message #221 by billrce.

              Instead of having to read through all the entries in this directory, you can sort it by any field.

              Hopefully in the near future we’ll have most categories covered, such as handyman, gardener, baby sitter, etc. All entries are referenced to the original post, in this case you can look up message #221 and you get details on this entry.

              Cheers,

              Zoltan Gode

              cid:image001.jpg@01C7A2AE.90E367A0

              Colors by Zoltan Painting

              Office: 650 556-9800

              Cell: 415 350-4732

              email: zol@...

              href="mailto:local2me%40yahoogroups.com">local2me@yahoogroups.com,
              > >Mark H <mark_lists@> wrote:
              > >Shred-it in Foster City will shred your documents for $5.00 per box
              > >if you take it to their facility. Also, they're offering free
              > >shredding at an event in San Mateo. It will be Saturday June the
              > >6th, "It's Shred time", San Mateo on B street between 6th
              and 9th
              > >Streets, from noon to 4:00. The event also offers an antique car
              > >show and entertainment.
              > >Hope this helps.
              > > > I have several years tax records that need shredding.
              > > >
              > > > A few years ago, Belmont had an arts festival and one of the
              service
              > > > clubs (maybe Kiwanis?) sponsored a truck where I could bring
              boxes of
              > > > paper and have it shredded. That was great...
              > > >
              > > > Before that, I tried using my home shredder. I have a pretty
              large
              > > > one, but it still takes a long time to shred one box, and the
              > > > resulting paper is hard to recycle. I had thought that shredding
              > > > box of paper would result in less space used up, but its exactly
              the
              > > > opposite - a box of paper turns into several bags of paper
              scrap.

              > > > Anyone have another solution?? Anyone used a commercial firm for
              this?

              > > > thnx,

            • PRodoni
              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 1, 2009
                heh

                zol wrote:

                > We have this wonderful feature on yahoo groups, DATABASE, on the left
                > menu bar. It will take you to the recommendation directory, where we
                > can store all previous recommendations. The moderators update this
                > database frequently. Better Shredder is listed there, the original
                > recommendation was posted in message #221 by billrce.
                >
                > Instead of having to read through all the entries in this directory,
                > you can sort it by any field.
                >
                > Hopefully in the near future we’ll have most categories covered, such
                > as handyman, gardener, baby sitter, etc. All entries are referenced to
                > the original post, in this case you can look up message #221 and you
                > get details on this entry.
                >
                > Cheers,
                >
                > Zoltan Gode
                >
                > cid:image001.jpg@01C7A2AE.90E367A0
                >
                > Colors by Zoltan Painting
                >
                > Office: 650 556-9800
                >
                > Cell: 415 350-4732
                >
                > email: zol@... <mailto:zol@...>

              • Stef
                Message 7 of 19 , Jun 1, 2009
                  Bob, I'm trying to find a web page for this event. Do you have a
                  source? Thanks.

                  Stef at cat-and-dragon dot com

                  Bob Stine (rbrtstine@...) wrote:
                  >--- In local2me@yahoogroups.com, Mark H <mark_lists@...> wrote:
                  >Shred-it in Foster City will shred your documents for $5.00 per box if you take it to their facility. Also, they're offering free shredding at an event in San Mateo. It will be Saturday June the 6th, "It's Shred time", San Mateo on B street between 6th and 9th Streets, from noon to 4:00. The event also offers an antique car show and entertainment.
                  >Hope this helps.
                  >> I have several years tax records that need shredding.
                  >>
                  >> A few years ago, Belmont had an arts festival and one of the service
                  >> clubs (maybe Kiwanis?) sponsored a truck where I could bring boxes of
                  >> paper and have it shredded. That was great...
                  >>
                  >> Before that, I tried using my home shredder. I have a pretty large
                  >> one, but it still takes a long time to shred one box, and the
                  >> resulting paper is hard to recycle. I had thought that shredding a
                  >> box of paper would result in less space used up, but its exactly the
                  >> opposite - a box of paper turns into several bags of paper scrap.
                  >>
                  >> Anyone have another solution?? Anyone used a commercial firm for this?
                  >>

                  >> thnx,
                • janspetsitt
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 2, 2009
                    To the person(s) who was asking about shredding. There is a festival of some sort in San Mateo this Sat., 6/06...I put a copy of the flyer in the "file" section of this group.
                    HTH
                    Jan

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jun 3, 2009
                      Hi,
                      Moderators. Know this is off topic, maybe this isn't the forum for me.

                    • John
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jun 5, 2009
                        I am unable to confirm the free document shredding event in San Mateo this weekend June 6th. Can you help with a URL to a web page for the car show.
                      • janspetsitt
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jun 5, 2009
                          I put a copy of the flyer in the "files" section of our Yahoo Group. It's titled "Come to B" - unfortunately, there is no URL, etc. Maybe someone else can provide one.
                          HTH
                          Jan

                          Message 12 of 19 , Jun 5, 2009
                            I got a flyer emailed to me about the event. It's between 6th Ave and 9th Ave Saturday. The flyer says, "Bring your unwanted documents and your appetite to the festival! Shred-It mobile shredding will be on site to shred up to 3 bankers boxes per family of materials - for FREE!" The event is between noon and 4:00 pm.
                            Hope this helps set your mind at ease.

                            --- In local2me@yahoogroups.com, Stef <stef@...> wrote:

                            > Bob, I'm trying to find a web page for this event. Do you have a
                            > source? Thanks.
                            >
                            > Stef at cat-and-dragon dot com

                            > Bob Stine (rbrtstine@...) wrote:
                            > >--- In local2me@yahoogroups.com, Mark H <mark_lists@> wrote:
                            > >Shred-it in Foster City will shred your documents for $5.00 per box if you take it to their facility. Also, they're offering free shredding at an event in San Mateo. It will be Saturday June the 6th, "It's Shred time", San Mateo on B street between 6th and 9th Streets, from noon to 4:00. The event also offers an antique car show and entertainment.
                            > >Hope this helps.
                            > >> I have several years tax records that need shredding.
                            > >>
                            > >> A few years ago, Belmont had an arts festival and one of the service
                            > >> clubs (maybe Kiwanis?) sponsored a truck where I could bring boxes of
                            > >> paper and have it shredded. That was great...
                            > >>
                            > >> Before that, I tried using my home shredder. I have a pretty large
                            > >> one, but it still takes a long time to shred one box, and the
                            > >> resulting paper is hard to recycle. I had thought that shredding a
                            > >> box of paper would result in less space used up, but its exactly the
                            > >> opposite - a box of paper turns into several bags of paper scrap.
                            > >>
                            > >> Anyone have another solution?? Anyone used a commercial firm for this?
                            > >>

                            > >> thnx,

                          • Bob Stine
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jun 5, 2009
                              CORRECTION

                              Shred-It charges $10.00 per box if you take it to their site, not $5.00.

                              Bob Stine (rbrtstine@...) wrote:
                              > >--- In local2me@yahoogroups.com, Mark H <mark_lists@> wrote:
                              > >Shred-it in Foster City will shred your documents for $5.00 per box if you take it to their facility. Also, they're offering free shredding at an event in San Mateo. It will be Saturday June the 6th, "It's Shred time", San Mateo on B street between 6th and 9th Streets, from noon to 4:00. The event also offers an antique car show and entertainment.
                              > >Hope this helps.
                              > >> I have several years tax records that need shredding.
                              > >>
                              > >> A few years ago, Belmont had an arts festival and one of the service
                              > >> clubs (maybe Kiwanis?) sponsored a truck where I could bring boxes of
                              > >> paper and have it shredded. That was great...
                              > >>
                              > >> Before that, I tried using my home shredder. I have a pretty large
                              > >> one, but it still takes a long time to shred one box, and the
                              > >> resulting paper is hard to recycle. I had thought that shredding a
                              > >> box of paper would result in less space used up, but its exactly the
                              > >> opposite - a box of paper turns into several bags of paper scrap.
                              > >>
                              > >> Anyone have another solution?? Anyone used a commercial firm for this?
                              > >>

                              > >> thnx,

                            • PRodoni
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jun 5, 2009
                                Hi, maybe OFF Topic here excuse me but I am so Eco Earth....

                                but why pay anything when you can put all your papers in a garbage can,
                                add water
                                and instant mulch? Pat