Re: [local2me] Was I the only one who didn't know about Comcast & special boxes needed?

  • Don
    Message 1 of 22 , May 1, 2009
      My best guess is that your decoder box will not pass the analog signals.  As long as you get what you want this is not a problem.  Some of the decoders do pass the analog signals.
      Where I am,  I have to wait until they move the antennas on Sutro Tower to find out what I will receive.

      Don..

      CatWoman wrote:

      I guess at this point, I'll figure it out when it happens.

      I suppose I should call my mom's cable company and make
      sure - but I'm on antenna with a decoder box - and ever
      since I plugged it in here, I have *only* gotten the X.X
      stations - X stations don't come in. I'm guessing I'm
      ready because I am getting more stations than I did with
      just the antenna, and I'm constantly finding more getting
      added.

      I <heart> living where I do - no cable necessary!

      dg

      __._,_

    • CatWoman
      Message 2 of 22 , May 1, 2009
        Don wrote:

        > My best guess is that your decoder box will not pass the analog
        > signals. As long as you get what you want this is not a problem. Some
        > of the decoders do pass the analog signals.

        Yeah - when I first got it, there weren't a lot of stations
        on digital, so I tried to create a 'splitter'. But now all
        the PBS station are available, so I'm happy!

        > Where I am, I have to wait until they move the antennas on Sutro Tower
        > to find out what I will receive.

        8-)

        Hopefully it won't make mine go away!

        dg
      • Denise
        Message 3 of 22 , May 1, 2009
          I also received numerous mailings and phone calls saying it was URGENT I called them.  When I did, they told me I was fine, all set up and had to do nothing.  Then I came home to find the channels I most watch (40-60) were gone.  I called and was told I needed the converter boxes.  Went to get them and of course had problems connecting them.  Had to have Comcast come out, they gave me a four hour window from 10-2 and showed up at 3.  Took them an hour to get everything configured correctly and I didn't need those converter boxes at all.

          They also told me it would be $15.95 for them to come out which I even repeated back to them and the bill came to over $70 so they will be getting a very firm phone call from me today as I refuse to pay more than what they quoted me!

          I've had Comcast for many years and have no idea why I've never switched carriers as their customer service has always been terrible.  I will probably switch to AT&T UVERSE soon as I have my landline, cell and DSL with AT&T and have had no problems with them to date.  Knocking on wood!

          Denise

        • CatWoman
          Message 4 of 22 , May 1, 2009
            Okay - San Bruno Cable says that they completed their conversion
            last year, so the cable box I got for my mom contains the converter.

            I'm still going to give her a supply of tapes just in case (and I
            have my DVDs to watch), until everything gets sorted out...

            dg
          • PRodoni
            Message 5 of 22 , May 1, 2009
              June 13th....