Need some crafts advice, please

  • drvicky
    Message 1 of 8 , May 2 10:20 PM
      I'm making a flannel board story for a preschool group to whom I read. The story has a lion in it and I'm wracking my brain for some 3-dimensional way to depict a lion's mane. I thought of using cotton balls but can't figure out how to get them the correct color. Or is there another technique I might use?

      Thanks,

      Vicky
    • maidbyme@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 8 , May 3 12:18 AM
        yarn
        I'm making a flannel board story for a preschool group to whom I read. The story has a lion in it and I'm wracking my brain for some 3-dimensional way to depict a lion's mane. I thought of using cotton balls but can't figure out how to get them the correct color. Or is there another technique I might use?

        Thanks,

        Vicky
      • Mary Burns
        Message 3 of 8 , May 3 4:20 AM
          What about loops of gold-colored yarn?

          On May 2, 2012, at 10:20 PM, drvicky wrote:

          I'm making a flannel board story for a preschool group to whom I read. The story has a lion in it and I'm wracking my brain for some 3-dimensional way to depict a lion's mane. I thought of using cotton balls but can't figure out how to get them the correct color. Or is there another technique I might use?

          Thanks,

          Vicky

        • Julie Willett
          Message 4 of 8 , May 3 7:06 AM
            When I think lion, it think of yarn. Multi-colors of tans/browns/yellows if needed.

            Julie

            Message 5 of 8 , May 3 8:11 AM
              On 5/3/2012 4:20 AM, Mary Burns wrote:

              > What about loops of gold-colored yarn?

              Or if you're not wanting to buy new yarn (though someone
              on freecycle probably has some), how about an old-fashioned
              string mop - someone also probably has a used one - bleach
              well, then use orange dye to color it (or a combination of
              dyes to get the right color).

              dg
            • Irene
              Message 6 of 8 , May 3 8:46 AM
                Hi Vicky

                As a knitter, my mind always turn to yarn. Try gluing loops of yellow yarn as the mane. You can buy cheap acrylic yarn from Joanns or Michaels.

                Sounds like a fun project to do with the kids!

                Irene

                --- In local2me@yahoogroups.com, "drvicky" <drvicky@...> wrote:

                > I'm making a flannel board story for a preschool group to whom I read. The story has a lion in it and I'm wracking my brain for some 3-dimensional way to depict a lion's mane. I thought of using cotton balls but can't figure out how to get them the correct color. Or is there another technique I might use?
                >
                > Thanks,
                >
                > Vicky

              • Irene
                Message 7 of 8 , May 4 7:38 AM
                  Hi Vicky

                  You totally have me thinking about this. If you don't want to use yarn, you might try yellow tissue paper or even dried grass clippings that are yellowed (now I have the line "golden waves of grain" from our national anthem in my head). Or even an old yellow shirt cut up into strips then frayed at the end. How fun! I hope we see pictures.

                  Irene

                  --- In local2me@yahoogroups.com, "Irene" <chen.irene@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Vicky
                  >
                  > As a knitter, my mind always turn to yarn. Try gluing loops of yellow yarn as the mane. You can buy cheap acrylic yarn from Joanns or Michaels.
                  >
                  > Sounds like a fun project to do with the kids!
                  >
                  > Irene
                  >
                  > --- In local2me@yahoogroups.com, "drvicky" <drvicky@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I'm making a flannel board story for a preschool group to whom I read. The story has a lion in it and I'm wracking my brain for some 3-dimensional way to depict a lion's mane. I thought of using cotton balls but can't figure out how to get them the correct color. Or is there another technique I might use?
                  > >
                  > > Thanks,
                  > >
                  > > Vicky

                • Melanie Yunk
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 6 5:42 PM

                    Hi Vicky,

                    Amazon.com sells bags of poms and you can also find colored cotton balls. Perhaps one of those might work for you.

                    Melanie