How much does a housekeeper cost?

  • D
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1, 2012
      Hi, There, How much does a good housekeeper cost on average these days? I was interviewing independent housekeepers these days. The price quotes I receive varies. One told me that they worked in a team of three and charged me per person per hourly rate. It's a bit excessive. And some even doubles the rate I paid per hour before. This concerns me and would like to check with my neighbors here. Have I lost a sense of reality these days? For example: a house of 2600 square foot w 4 bedrooms 3.5 bath, how much does one pay for a weekly or biweekly service for a good, independent housekeeper? Thanks for your guidance in advance, Donna
    • Denise
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 1, 2012

        Hi Donna,

        I have a 2 bedroom  2 bath 1200 sq ft condo and I pay $60.  I have my cleaning lady and her helper once a month.  When I had her twice a month, she charged $55.  I’m really not sure how long they are at my place since I’m at work when they’re here.  Over the many years I’ve had different cleaning  people,  I’ve never paid by the hour, it’s always been for the total job.

        Denise

        Hi, There, How much does a good housekeeper cost on average these days? I was interviewing independent housekeepers these days. The price quotes I receive varies. One told me that they worked in a team of three and charged me per person per hourly rate. It's a bit excessive. And some even doubles the rate I paid per hour before. This concerns me and would like to check with my neighbors here. Have I lost a sense of reality these days? For example: a house of 2600 square foot w 4 bedrooms 3.5 bath, how much does one pay for a weekly or biweekly service for a good, independent housekeeper? Thanks for your guidance in advance, Donna

      • MARILYN MESSER
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 1, 2012

          I have a neighbor who pays $90. For the size house you describe.  I have a 3/2 house 2100 sq. ft. and I pay $70.

          Marilyn

          Hi, There, How much does a good housekeeper cost on average these days? I was interviewing independent housekeepers these days. The price quotes I receive varies. One told me that they worked in a team of three and charged me per person per hourly rate. It's a bit excessive. And some even doubles the rate I paid per hour before. This concerns me and would like to check with my neighbors here. Have I lost a sense of reality these days? For example: a house of 2600 square foot w 4 bedrooms 3.5 bath, how much does one pay for a weekly or biweekly service for a good, independent housekeeper? Thanks for your guidance in advance, Donna

        • Mary Burns
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 1, 2012
            Our housekeeper's husband is our gardener.  For both of them to come once a week we pay $150.  Besides cleaning the house (about the same size as yours) she folds and puts away the laundry.

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 1, 2012
              Denise,
              I have a house somewhat similar to yours...2800 square feet, 5 bedrooms and 3 baths but 2 of my kids are away at college so, unless it's over a break, not all of it needs to be cleaned each week.  I pay $100... Two people come and are in my house for between 2 and 2.5 hours.  I prefer to pay by the job rather than the hour but, on average, I think paying somewhere around $20 per work hour is fair.

              Unfortunately, the quality of the work of my current housekeeper has never been that high and is declining so I've been thinking I should find someone new.  If anyone has anyone to recommend, I'd love to hear.

              Sent from my iPad