Need old chimney flues cut down

  • angiecoiro
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 4, 2011
      I have seven chimney flue parts of identical length. I need some of them cut down by several inches. These are old and *may* contain asbestos, so I'd like to use a shop or handyman who will take all necessary precautions. Anyone you can recommend? Thanks!
    • Nickie Irvine
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 5, 2011
        I can't imagine reusing chimney flues that contain asbestos for any application - I would not recommend cutting them down and keeping them.  You will stir up a lot of asbestos dust in the process, which is harmful, and leave a hazard in place rather than removing it.  We recently had asbestos-insulated flues removed from our house as part of construction work.  The contractor used the following company, which provided us with documentation that can be used in a house sale to prove that asbestos was removed.  If they come for an estimate, I'm sure they could tell you if it is indeed asbestos.  They worked quickly and efficiently and tested after they were done for asbestos dust.  This is specialized work that I would not have done by a handyman.

        Synergy Enterprises
        28436 Satellite St
        Hayward CA 94545
        (510) 259-1700

        Nickie

        On Dec 4, 2011, at 10:56 PM, angiecoiro wrote:

        I have seven chimney flue parts of identical length. I need some of them cut down by several inches. These are old and *may* contain asbestos, so I'd like to use a shop or handyman who will take all necessary precautions. Anyone you can recommend? Thanks!

      • Patty