Heater Problem

  • Denise
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 2, 2011

      Happy New Year Neighbors!

      Friday morning when it was super cold, I turned the thermostat up to 70 degrees.  The power went out for a couple hours and once it came on, it continued to go off and on for a couple more hours.  Since then my thermostat is still at 70 and my place is way too hot.  I’ve gone to the fuse box and flipped the switch but that didn’t fix it.  The furnace seems to be working.  At least it sounds like it is! When I set the thermostat higher or lower, it sounds like it’s doing it’s thing but the temperature doesn’t change and here I am sitting in my house that is still too hot and probably causing my PGE bill to be adding $$$ to it.

      My question is what kind of repair place do I call to come fix this.  My first thought is the thermostat may need to be replaced but I really have no idea.

      John Martin – is this something you could fix?

      Thanks so much,

      Denise

    • Danny van der Rijn
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 2, 2011
        What kind of thermostat do you have?  Does it change temps at different times?

        If so, it might have gone "off schedule"?

        Another thought is that sometimes the systems can do weird things if the power goes out when they're on. You can try turning the system to 'off' at your thermostat for a few minutes until you're sure the furnace us off. Then turn it back on. It's a ctrl-alt-delete for your heater ;-)

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 2, 2011

          Hi Danny,

          Thank you for your tips.  I did try turning the thermostat off but it didn’t help.  It’s not a programmable kind so it only would change temps if I changed the temp on it. Well, it did that like it was supposed to until it got “stuck” at 72 degrees a couple days ago!  It’s as old as my condo which must be close to 30 years now and is a hard wired kind.

          My wonderful handyman was here and took it off so he could go to Home Depot to get a new one for me.  They didn’t have this kind and he didn’t know how to proceed since he’s not an electrician.  Thus I am now looking for an electrician to either get me the “old fashioned” kind of thermostat and install it or convert to the new kind.

          Thanks again,

          Denise