Re: Digital TV Antenna

  • japeters@pacbell.net
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 1, 2009
      I don't see how UHF and VHF have anything to do with digital.
    • Patty
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 1, 2009
        You need a UHF and VHF antenna because Ch 7 freqs. We have the
        converter boxes. If you are close enough, probably get Ch 7 with the
        rabbit ears.
        www.antennaweb.org

        japeters@... wrote:

        > I don't see how UHF and VHF have anything to do with digital.

      • Jeff Hanson
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 1, 2009

          You ARE correct. Thank you for clearing up something that can be confusing.
          Digital has nothing to do with VHF nor UHF. Over the air broadcasting
          Channels 2 through13 are VHF and the other TV channels from channel 14 on
          upward are UHF. You will probably want both VHF (for sure) and UHF. For any
          curious minds, the V stands for Very High Frequency and the U stands for
          Ultra High Frequency. We watch a lot of channel 9-1 and 9-2 (both channel 9)
          on our DirecTV using channels 0009 and 0054. However, for us to watch
          channel 9-3 we need the over the air TV antenna because DirecTV does not
          carry our San Francisco 9-3 station. For any curious minds digital TV has
          made it possible for over the air TV broadcasting to be squeezed into
          narrower frequency spaces. So channel 9 is now broadcasting 3 different
          programs on channels 9-1, 9-2, and 9-3. They can probably do more but they
          have to work with the FCC (Federal Communications Commission) on frequency
          assignments.

          In actuality I'm not sure you can purchase a VHF only TV antenna anymore.
          Just trying to cover all basis by bringing it up.

          The only point I wanted to drum in about TV antennas for receiving is there
          is no such thing as HD or non-HD TV antennas. Likewise there is no such
          thing as Digital or non-digital TV antennas. Sort of like Stereo and
          non-Stereo antennas, there is no such distinction in TV antennas.

          As a segue we recently upgraded to HD with DirecTV. What some of you might
          like to know is they now have the technology in the field to bring all your
          HD programming into your home with just one dish now. This one dish now only
          needs ONE LNB This is that giant white marshmallow thingy sticking out on a
          boom from the dish. Some of the older dishes had up to 5 LNB's showing. Now
          the neat thing is they now only need to bring in ONE coaxial cable into your
          home instead of 2 or 4 cables. So this makes it possible to go into a home
          that is on cable (such as Comcast) and change them to satellite very quickly
          without running extra cable or drilling more holes. This has been a problem
          until NOW. The technology is called SWM8 for Single-wire Multiswitch. (Yes,
          it is pronounced Swim Eight)

          Jeff Hanson in San Carlos
        • Moon Dancer
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 1, 2009

            Does Direct TV allow the use of a Tivo or do you have to use their proprietary DVR?  I didn’t believe it possible but Comcast is getting worse and worse and worse.  By the time 6PM rolls around and everyone is home from work, my service crawls to a halt.  And then there are their service issues …

            Diane

            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 1, 2009

              Diane,

              My sister used TIVO with Comcast. So yes you can use it vs their proprietary DVR. My parents in Menlo Park on the other hand use DISH with a DVR, but I noticed the programming schedule from DISH is limited if you like to watch TV after 1AM in the morning. I do enjoy Comcast Broadband CABLE MODEM at my girlfriend’s house in san mateo especially if I am watching video online, but I USE AT&T DSL out of my house in redwood city and that works out just fine. I think Comcast is just too expensive and I don’t have any cable or subscription TV service out of the RWC house which is why I am trying to figure out the best antenna solution. So many options…. it is too bad DISH internet access is slow as I would otherwise subscribe to the entire DISH package.

              Does Direct TV allow the use of a Tivo or do you have to use their proprietary DVR?  I didn’t believe it possible but Comcast is getting worse and worse and worse.  By the time 6PM rolls around and everyone is home from work, my service crawls to a halt.  And then there are their service issues …

              Diane

              As a segue we recently upgraded to HD with DirecTV. What some of you might
              like to know is they now have the technology in the field to bring all your
              HD programming into your home with just one dish now. This one dish now only
              needs ONE LNB This is that giant white marshmallow thingy sticking out on a
              boom from the dish. Some of the older dishes had up to 5 LNB's showing. Now
              the neat thing is they now only need to bring in ONE coaxial cable into your
              home instead of 2 or 4 cables. So this makes it possible to go into a home
              that is on cable (such as Comcast) and change them to satellite very quickly
              without running extra cable or drilling more holes. This has been a problem
              until NOW. The technology is called SWM8 for Single-wire Multiswitch. (Yes,
              it is pronounced Swim Eight)

              Jeff Hanson in San Carlos

            • Don
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 1, 2009
                One of the best ways to find out is to just look around.  What kind of antennas are your neighbors using.
                The online way is www.antennaweb.org,  they will give you an idea of what you will be able to receive,  and what kind of antenna it will take.  Usually an outside antenna on a mast,  with a rotor if necessary.
                I am in Redwood City behind  Sequoia hospital (I know bad place).  We get some of the stations from Sutro Tower,  but the San Jose ones come in off of the side of the antenna very well. This is with an outdoor antenna about 20 ft over a single story roof.

                Don..

                cashual1st wrote:

                Diane,

                My sister used TIVO with Comcast. So yes you can use it vs their proprietary DVR. My parents in Menlo Park on the other hand use DISH with a DVR, but I noticed the programming schedule from DISH is limited if you like to watch TV after 1AM in the morning. I do enjoy Comcast Broadband CABLE MODEM at my girlfriend’s house in san mateo especially if I am watching video online, but I USE AT&T DSL out of my house in redwood city and that works out just fine. I think Comcast is just too expensive and I don’t have any cable or subscription TV service out of the RWC house which is why I am trying to figure out the best antenna solution. So many options…. it is too bad DISH internet access is slow as I would otherwise subscribe to the entire DISH package.

                Does Direct TV allow the use of a Tivo or do you have to use their proprietary DVR?  I didn’t believe it possible but Comcast is getting worse and worse and worse.  By the time 6PM rolls around and everyone is home from work, my service crawls to a halt.  And then there are their service issues …

                Diane

                As a segue we recently upgraded to HD with DirecTV. What some of you might
                like to know is they now have the technology in the field to bring all your
                HD programming into your home with just one dish now. This one dish now only
                needs ONE LNB This is that giant white marshmallow thingy sticking out on a
                boom from the dish. Some of the older dishes had up to 5 LNB's showing. Now
                the neat thing is they now only need to bring in ONE coaxial cable into your
                home instead of 2 or 4 cables. So this makes it possible to go into a home
                that is on cable (such as Comcast) and change them to satellite very quickly
                without running extra cable or drilling more holes. This has been a problem
                until NOW. The technology is called SWM8 for Single-wire Multiswitch. (Yes,
                it is pronounced Swim Eight)

                Jeff Hanson in San Carlos

              • Don Eng
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 2, 2009
                  We mounted an aerial antennae on our roof a few years ago. Bought it at Fry's for about $30. With the converter box we get something like 60+ channels. Except for a few obscure channels in the channel 1 range and another in maybe channel 22, everything comes in loud and clear. I forgot the brand name ...Channel Master?

                  Like one response said earlier, go to www.antennaweb.org for instructions on how to orient your antenna in the best direction that gets the channels that you are most interested in and lock it in. The stations come in way clearer than when they were analog.