Need DVD recorder repair

  • wendela650
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2009
      My DVD recorder has stopped playing/recording DVDs. I get the "No read" error message. I tried using the DVD lens cleaning disc, but it didn't work this time, so there might be another problem Does anyone know of a reasonable place to diagnose & repair DVD units?
      Thanks,
      Wendy in San Mateo
    • neilweiser
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2, 2009
        --- In local2me@yahoogroups.com, "wendela650" <TVBIZMs@...> wrote:

        > My DVD recorder has stopped playing/recording DVDs. I get the "No read" error message. I tried using the DVD lens cleaning disc, but it didn't work this time, so there might be another problem Does anyone know of a reasonable place to diagnose & repair DVD units?
        > Thanks,
        > Wendy in San Mateo

        You're not going to like this answer, but you'd be better off shopping for an all-new DVD recorder. One with the modern digital (ATSC) tuner, or for that matter, one without any tuner that you can plug directly into a cable or satellite box. Any repair -- ANY repair -- is likely to cost more than the device is worth, and a new unit from a discounter like Costco, or Fry's or Best Buy would very likely be more cost effective. (Unless the problem is something trivial, and someone can identify it quickly for little cost. That's more likely to be a friend than a repair shop.)

        ...Neil