Re: [local-calling-guide] My first Internet Access in 2 weeks

  • Raymond Burke
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 13, 2005
      Mark;

      Just wanted to say that I'm glad you are OK. We have
      been nervously waiting a reply from you, and it is
      good to know that you are fine.

      But we did figure that you did not have internet
      access anyway.

      You're right that Metro Atlanta is huge. This was
      once the largest toll free calling area in the world,
      and may still be, depending on what is the case in
      other places. In the 60's and 70's, this term
      applied. Then in the 1990's, they made it even
      bigger.

      Did you notice there are even two exchanges in Alabama
      that are part of the Metro dialling area? Actually,
      these are "virtual exchanges" that are served from
      central offices in Georgia. Fruithurst, AL is served
      from the Tallapoosa, GA c/o, and the Ranburne, AL
      exchange is served out of Bowdon, GA.

      Back in the 70's and early 80's, Metro Atlanta was
      literally a "playground" for playing with the
      telephones. There was step by step (#1 and 355-A),
      crossbar, ESS, and later digital. Of course, today it
      is about like everywhere else (just about all
      digital). But there are still the old c/o buildings
      that are still being used, and the 51 Ivy building
      downtown, with the
      A T & T microwave tower.

      You should not have a problem at all with your
      Cingular phone in Atlanta - you are on the first Bell
      South Mobility network that was built! I forget what
      the system ID number is, but it is very low.

      Take care, and keep us up to date - our prayers are
      with you!

      Raymond Burke

      === message truncated ===

      http://mail.yahoo.com